CE vs. DOT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Surfdude_007

Reaction score
# of dives
All, I was given a couple of Steel Faber dive tanks from a friend of mine, but they don't have DOT stamped on the crown. They have CE stamped on them. Can I get them re-filled in the united states, or are they useless. Any constructive suggestions welcome.

Technically speaking, no you can't get them filled in the US.
You wont be able to get them hydroed or technically even vised.

Also, be VERY careful with the valves on the cylinders. The metric thread is VERY close to an SAE size.

Sorry. They aren't any better here either. Need a Transport Canada stamp. (I think manufacturers tend to cross-certify tanks, doing both TC and US DOT at the same time.)

Well, maybe I can sell them to a Canadian!

If they don't have a TC stamp (Transport Canada), they can't be filled here either, although a lot of shops don't know that and just go by the DOT stamp anyway.

Jim

Are they 8" cylinders?
I have been looking for some junk 8" cylinders to make a scuba cylinder mail box.
But I need 8" to meet the post master general specs.

Technically speaking, no you can't get them filled in the US.
You wont be able to get them hydroed or technically even vised.

Also, be VERY careful with the valves on the cylinders. The metric thread is VERY close to an SAE size.

Technically the DOT doesn't care and has no regulation that prevents them from being filled or hydroed. Realistly you will have problems because most shop don't know or understand what the regulations are.

Technically the DOT doesn't care and has no regulation that prevents them from being filled or hydroed. Realistly you will have problems because most shop don't know or understand what the regulations are.

I guess if your a CE hydro facility, yep you can hydro them.
And if you never transport them on public roads, yep you can fill them.

But as most and your self pointed out, most dive shops wont fill them, for want ever the reason.

All, I was given a couple of Steel Faber dive tanks from a friend of mine, but they don't have DOT stamped on the crown. They have CE stamped on them. Can I get them re-filled in the united states, or are they useless. Any constructive suggestions welcome.

You can cut off the bottom, weld a large ring on the top, spray paint them black and sell them as outdoor bells for $350 each at an art show this summer, then use the money to buy tanks you can get tested and filled. :cool:

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom