CDX5/GT3 High Pressure Seat Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looking back at old posts about diagnosing regulator problems, I believe I also have a failing high pressure seat. However, the local dive shop which handles oceanic gear said they have heard nothing of the issues with the CDX5/GT3 and is going to charge me 30 for the service and 30 for the parts kit.

Now, before I commit to paying for it, I would like some help verifying my own diagnosis. I connected a pressure gauge from the dive shop to my bcd inflator hose and it was stable, didn't seem to be moving. However, this was on a partially filled tank. We left it alone and the octo didn't start to hiss.

The next weekend, with 3050 in my al80, I hooked up my reg, and within a few minutes, my octo started to hiss again. Should I run the ip test again, but this time with a topped off tank?

Looking back at old posts about diagnosing regulator problems, I believe I also have a failing high pressure seat. However, the local dive shop which handles oceanic gear said they have heard nothing of the issues with the CDX5/GT3 and is going to charge me 30 for the service and 30 for the parts kit.

Now, before I commit to paying for it, I would like some help verifying my own diagnosis. I connected a pressure gauge from the dive shop to my bcd inflator hose and it was stable, didn't seem to be moving. However, this was on a partially filled tank. We left it alone and the octo didn't start to hiss.

The next weekend, with 3050 in my al80, I hooked up my reg, and within a few minutes, my octo started to hiss again. Should I run the ip test again, but this time with a topped off tank?

Call me. Thanks.

Phil Ellis

My wife and I have GT3 regs. I have 60 dives on mine and she has 20 dives on her's. I just droped them off for the year service. What should I tell the shop about this? Did Oceanic recall any of them? I have a trip in November and want to make sure their working right.

Just for the record, this ended up being a high pressure seat problem. I looked at the seat when they removed it from my first stage and it had a grove where the volcano contacts it. Definetly weird since I bought the reg 4 weeks ago, and only have 8 dives, or about 3 hours on it. However, I must say that this definetly too early for a high pressure seat to start leaking.

Phil Ellis:
Thanks for offering to fix it for me, but my preferred LDS (the one that isn't an oceanic dealer) replaced my high pressure seat for less than I would have paid in shipping. They offer such great service!

Quick question...does anyone know if the newer cdx-5's with DVT are vulnerable to this issue? I am close to purchasing two GT-3's with DVT.

Stopped by the shop today to check on my reg. This is the first service on it and had him check out this thread. He said he never herd anything and checked with Oceanic. No recall or any information on the the problem. Did not work on it yet to give me any ideas of signs of a problem. Will update as soon as I know.

I'll drop another call tomorrow to see if Richard has heard anything.

My Oceanic 180 Octo had issues last week. I'm beginning to question my decision about buying Oceanic products.

I'll drop another call tomorrow to see if Richard has heard anything.

My Oceanic 180 Octo had issues last week. I'm beginning to question my decision about buying Oceanic products.

Reefwatcher, you did not make a mistake in buying Oceanic products. They have a small HP seat issue which will be corrected soon. You should hear some information from Oceanic in a very few days. That being said, if you have any Oceanic product problems, you may feell free to phone me and I can give you the skinny and arrange to get a repair done. Thanks.

Phil Ellis

I have to say it is a bit disconcerting to go on this long without any sort of statement from the manufacturer. I went diving with my GT3/CDX5 anyway, although it was pretty shallow. No problems for what its worth, but it does make me a little nervous.

jds

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom