CDX5/GT3 High Pressure Seat Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

contender

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I was wondering if these regs have a bad batch of High pressure seats. I purchased 3 new ones about 4 months ago, and have had all of them split the high pressure seats in half. My dive partner purchased 3 at the same time and 2 of his had to be replaced. This is of great concern to me since these regs are used in Cave and other tech diving. In fact I am thinking about getting rid of these regs because of this. I would like to know if Oceanic is planning a recall. One reg is an accident, not 5.

Sorry to sound stupid, but...what is the symptom of this happening? At what point did it occur, during a dive, or some other time? I'm interested in this, because I just bought one of these regs a couple months ago.

jds

I was wondering if these regs have a bad batch of High pressure seats. I purchased 3 new ones about 4 months ago, and have had all of them split the high pressure seats in half. My dive partner purchased 3 at the same time and 2 of his had to be replaced. This is of great concern to me since these regs are used in Cave and other tech diving. In fact I am thinking about getting rid of these regs because of this. I would like to know if Oceanic is planning a recall. One reg is an accident, not 5.

Don't get rid of those regulators. They are great performers. Simply return them to the dealer for a NO CHARGE replacement of the high pressure seats. You will be hearing more about this soon. Thanks.

Note: If it isn't convenient to take them to the original dealer, mail all four of them to me and I will take care of your problem free of charge. I will even pay the return shipping. Thanks.

Phil Ellis

Don't get rid of those regulators. They are great performers. Simply return them to the dealer for a NO CHARGE replacement of the high pressure seats. You will be hearing more about this soon. Thanks.

Note: If it isn't convenient to take them to the original dealer, mail all four of them to me and I will take care of your problem free of charge. I will even pay the return shipping. Thanks.

Phil Ellis

Thanks Phil,
They have since been fixed by the original dealer. He told me as well that I was about to hear more about it. I have also just purchased 3 more, so they will need to be fixed according to him. I will take you up on the offer to send them to you, will save me a 60mile round trip. They are indeed great performers. I will contact you in the morning. Thanks,
Chad

Sorry to sound stupid, but...what is the symptom of this happening? At what point did it occur, during a dive, or some other time? I'm interested in this, because I just bought one of these regs a couple months ago.

jds

I was at 110' and had a total free flow. No warnings just air and plenty of it. When we took them apart at the dealers the HP seat was cracked totally into. I was worried about this mainly because as I said, I dive in caves and this could be disaster in that environment. I would not worry if you just purchased one because, there are obviously good shops out there who will fix the problem. Good luck.

chad

Interesting, thanks for the reply. Until Oceanic issues some kind of statement, I will probably have trouble taking them somewhere to be fixed if they aren't showing problems. I'd just soon not do the 110' free flow experiment if possible though!
jds

Is there an official recall notice on these? I have 2 I bought last year, and I am planning on buying a 3rd CDX5 first stage, so if there is a recall based on serial numbers, I'd like to check mine.

Is there an official recall notice on these? I have 2 I bought last year, and I am planning on buying a 3rd CDX5 first stage, so if there is a recall based on serial numbers, I'd like to check mine.

No recall at this point, but looks like one could be on the way.

I've got two that I just purchased this year. Any recall info would be appreciated.

Does anyone have any new information about this?

My wife and I both use this unit.

I tried to contact Oceanic via there webpage, but there is an error when submitting the question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom