CDX5/GT3 High Pressure Seat Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife's FDX10 blew its high pressure seat on day two of a Galapagos trip in September. Thank God we had a spare regulator available. Her regulator did not fall into the serial number sequence identified by Oceanic, but it did have an annual service during the time identified by Oceanic.

Evidently there is no mechanism to notify customers who regulators could be affected by having an annual service during the identified time frame. It would have been nice if we had received the same "heads up" from Oceanic that was given to their dealers.

I assumed that because this was a recall the repair would be performed at no charge. However, I received this from my LDS yesterday afternoon:

"If your first stage is affected, bring it to ****** Scuba for service. Oceanic pays for the replacement parts, but the is a nominal labor charge to change the parts. If your regulator is due for annual service, we can make the change as part of that service."

Is this Oceanic's standard policy regarding the recall?

You know, dealers can do what dealers please. Oceanic can't FORCE them to do it free. After all, this is America ( at least I assume you are in the US).

Your dealer should do the recall without a labor charge. Why? Because he is your dealer and he sold you the regulator. Doing the recall with no labor charge is in the dealers best interest. In fact, I will make you an offer.....send your regulator to me and I will do the recall at no charge. We have some degree of experience with these regulators. You do need to pay for the postal shipping, but hey....at least I am not trying to hold you up for labor.

No wonder LDS with these policies are screaming about us guys that run online stores. Sad thing is, it is not the "online" part that is hurting them.

Phil Ellis

You know, dealers can do what dealers please. Oceanic can't FORCE them to do it free. After all, this is America ( at least I assume you are in the US).

Your dealer should do the recall without a labor charge. Why? Because he is your dealer and he sold you the regulator. Doing the recall with no labor charge is in the dealers best interest. In fact, I will make you an offer.....send your regulator to me and I will do the recall at no charge. We have some degree of experience with these regulators. You do need to pay for the postal shipping, but hey....at least I am not trying to hold you up for labor.

No wonder LDS with these policies are screaming about us guys that run online stores. Sad thing is, it is not the "online" part that is hurting them.

Phil Ellis

Correct ... it's the customer service part which is something many local dive shops have not yet learned to master.

Regarding the recall, I'm really quite surprised that Oceanic is not reimbursing their dealers for the labor to change out the HP seats. The regs are defective. That is Oceanic's responsibility. The HP seat needs to be changed in order to make the reg safe to use. That is Oceanic's responsibility. But the responsibility to actually remove the bad seat and replace it with a new one is somehow not Oceanic's responsibility? Sounds rediculous to me.

Correct ... it's the customer service part which is something many local dive shops have not yet learned to master.

Regarding the recall, I'm really quite surprised that Oceanic is not reimbursing their dealers for the labor to change out the HP seats. The regs are defective. That is Oceanic's responsibility. The HP seat needs to be changed in order to make the reg safe to use. That is Oceanic's responsibility. But the responsibility to actually remove the bad seat and replace it with a new one is somehow not Oceanic's responsibility? Sounds rediculous to me.

Dealers are not doing this for free. They are compensated for the work.....not at the normal rate, but it is compensation. But...that is not the point. Dealers should do the work FOR THEIR CUSTOMERS. It is the little things that make the difference.

Phil Ellis

I assumed that because this was a recall the repair would be performed at no charge. However, I received this from my LDS yesterday afternoon:

"If your first stage is affected, bring it to ****** Scuba for service. Oceanic pays for the replacement parts, but the is a nominal labor charge to change the parts. If your regulator is due for annual service, we can make the change as part of that service."

Is this Oceanic's standard policy regarding the recall?

I received the same email that is posted above regarding my CDX5. My reg was repaired in June at no charge. If you did not receive the email, I suggest you copy the one above, and show it to your dealer explaining that no charge, means NO CHARGE. If he still wants to charge you, call Oceanic, and they will arrange for the repair. And then, even if he has repaired it at no charge, FIND ANOTHER DEALER FOR FUTURE SERVICE AND PURCHASES.

Both of CDX5's were on the list. Sent them both to the shop and were repaired at no charge.

forgive me... can anyone please tell me what is a high pressure seat and how do I check fo rthe problem myself...

Get the number off your reg and go to Oceanic's web site. They have a page to put the number in. Good luck.

forgive me... can anyone please tell me what is a high pressure seat and how do I check fo rthe problem myself...

If you don't know what a high pressure seat is, you don't need to be checking it yourself. Take it to a qualified repairman or send it to Phil Ellis on this board.

Back
Top Bottom