CCR2000 back in production!!!!!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have done what i consider exstensive research into both the Inspiration and the Mk-15 series rebreathers. Growing up i came to think of the "classic" rebreather being the MK-15 with it's unique spheres. I understand that the Inspiration is popular and boasts over 5000+ units produced, but what about the MK-15's and their 35+ years in the US Navy? Being somewhat new to rebreathers i can see where a "newbe" rebreather diver would be drawn to a shinny, yellow, new Inspiration, but what about looking down the road to the MK-15? I would like to here some responses from both die hard Inspiration divers and hopefully some trusty Mk-15 divers. Thank you

Todd Lovstrom

This is worst than vaporware in the software market.

Any new rebreather is a good thing. Just point me to the web site that contains the full details, when they are shipping and list of dealers supported.

Folks,

In the time I have been (1) lusting after, (2) researching, (3) buying, (4) learning, (5) diving, (6) and finally teaching about rebreathers, I have seen many, many of them come and go. I have seen even more be loudly trumpeted to the world as the next best thing to sliced bread.

Absolutely NONE of those in either category exist anymore except, in some cases, as historic displays! Splashy looking, sexy sounding VAPORWARE is a major facet of life in this segment of the diving industry!

"C'est la bloody guerre, non?" as the Brits are wont to say!!!!

I tend to agree w/Stephen... post the independant test data. all else is hype.

every rig has different cons and pros.. along with operation differences... get all manufacture data and compare to independant test data along w/hands on every rig then decide what is best for you rpersonal diving.

Why risk it? I wouldn't buy a rebreather from an unknown company that already went under once. Bad track record!

caveseeker7:
The moisture wicking hydrophobic membranes, too. Are we talking about the same thing? A membrane that lets gas through but keeps water out? The absorbant doesn't get flooded if the loop does? :wacko:

CS, et al,

Interestingly enough, Divematics USA, makes hydrophobic membranes for the Inspiration scrubber stack. They are not "completely" water-tight, a la the Cis, but they are no- where near the price of a Cis scrubber unit. They breathe extremely easily, and reject most water. (I can testify to that!)

<www.divenet.com/divematics>

PH: 714-773-5909

Todd,
The MK15 was a good unit for it's time. Having owned one, and worked on lots of them I can give a few faults. Each cable is VERY expensive, each bulkhead is rare and VERY VERY expensive. Trying to troubleshoot a sensor problem is time consuming. Spare Parts are rapidly drying up, counterlungs are almost non-existant. Spheres are non-DOT and dive shops get "nervous" filling them. No built in bail out, you can't purge the loop if it floods. Why pay 8 - 12 K for a twenty year old rig when a new modern rig is 8K ? I dive a PRISM and without giving the sales pitch I sold my 15 and got a PRISM because spare parts are a phone call away and Fedex will have them at my door next day, battery is about a buck and every gas station and walmart has them, purge the lungs underwater, built-in bailout, handsets can't be flooded, etc. etc.....

Steven

abyssalblue:
I would like to here some responses from both die hard Inspiration divers and hopefully some trusty Mk-15 divers. Thank you

Todd Lovstrom

BigJetDriver69:
I would doubt there are more than a handful anywhere, but you might check with Jan Willem Beck.
There is a diver here in the greater L.A. area that uses the CCR2000. He's an underwater cameraman and needs his chest free so he can handle the large UW housings.

He had one of the earlier Megs for a while, but sold it and instead bought a few more 2000s the last time production halted. As an OMG instructor he was hoping for the new Nemesis last time I talked to him (last summer).
His website is bubbleseekers.com or something like that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom