The New OM Systems OM-1 Camera, is it a "WOW" Camera or just and Upgrade?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have been waiting for a very long time for a new OM/OLY camera that would offer competitive state of the art technology and feature upgrades to replace its aging/dying/out of date sensors and processors. When I saw the pre-release marketing hype from OM Systems, I got excited and was expecting a true "WOW" camera that would make me not even think about the newer full frame camera mirrorless offerings from Sony and Nikon. I also expected not to consider the up coming GH6 from Panasonic for I thought that OM System will really live up to its promise and bring out a true "WOW" camera.

After reading the specs and watching MANY reviews on YouTube and other platforms, I see no earth shattering specs or features about this camera at all, not even close. This camera will keep OM Systems in the market for a while longer, that's all. I'll have to wait for the upcoming Panasonic gh6 to compare to make up my mind on which way to go to replace my very old OMD-E5 Mark I camera. The new OM-1 camera offers nothing that is truly exciting so far, just an upgrade and definitely not a "WOW" camera in my book especially in the still photography realm and in particular in underwater photography.

Yes, perhaps this camera is a big upgrade since the last flagship camera, the M1x and M1 III, were too far behind in technology that any new camera with current features will be a substantial upgrade but the OM-1 still isn't a "WOW" camera.

Don't get me wrong, I have invested lots of $$ and time into OLY M4/3 products and I really want to see them be at the top of their game and offer products that keep me in their camp. I am looking to buy something new that represents state of the Art technology with "WOW" factor and I prefer very much to stay with OLY and M4/3 but so far, it hasn't grabbed me.

I know that my opinion is going to ruffle some feathers here within the "believers" squad but it is my opinion based on my experience and my countless hours of reading and watching and educating myself over the last couple of years.

I'm not sure what you are expecting, Olympus never had their own fab facility and are limited to what they can have others produce for them, if they even design their own chips and sensors at all. Nikon was in a similar position for quite a while until the Z9.

I'm not sure what you are expecting, Olympus never had their own fab facility and are limited to what they can have others produce for them, if they even design their own chips and sensors at all. Nikon was in a similar position for quite a while until the Z9.

I was expecting the "WOW" camera they were marketing. It isn't my concern what their problems are nor do I care, that's something for them to sort out. I expected a new "WOW" camera just like Nikon did with their Z9 which is a "WOW" camera in their circles.

An upgrade, but not sure how major.

Following

We have to be patient for some weeks and await what careful reviews and tests will reveal...

The advertisement indicates that the OM-1 is indeed a substantial improvement:

#1.: Quad pixel stacked BSI sensor technology, so far only used in handycams. This technology is advertised to bring 2 EV in DR, resulting in substantial less noise in the shadows (the chronical weakness of MFT).
#2.: This sensor is also advertised to substantially improve AF&tracking (current Oly cameras are not famous for C-AF&tracking either).
(#3.: video is improved also, maybe important for videographers)

=> In case this advertisment turns out to be real, the OM-1 represents a substantial upgrade
Wolfgang

In case this advertisment turns out to be real, the OM-1 represents a substantial upgrade

Yes, perhaps a big upgrade since the last flagship camera, the M1x and M1 III, were too far behind in technology that any new camera with current features will be a substantial upgrade but that still isn't a "WOW" camera.

Don't get me wrong, I have invested lots of $$ and time into OLY M4/3 products and I really want to see them be at the top of their game and offer products that keep me in their camp. I am looking to buy something new that represents state of the Art technology with "WOW" factor and I prefer very much to stay with OLY and M4/3 but so far, it hasn't grabbed me.

As I do a bit of bird photography (more since covid) M4/3rds is the only way to go. I have a 100-400 +1.4x on an EM1 mk2 which takes me over 1000mm range hand held (mostly). Try doing that on a NiCon. I bought a nikon D800 to try a full frame for my bird stuff and general photography, could not see any difference so I sold it after 6 months.
Underwater the advantage to me is $$$ and size. I use an EM5 mk2 in an Oly housing and the cost is a fraction of a DSLR and for my photography, it makes no difference.
Not sure if a pro would use Oly or not UW but I don't care what they do, they are a different animal to me.
BTW I don't buy just released cameras, I am always a few years behind but again I don't care.

I was expecting the "WOW" camera they were marketing. It isn't my concern what their problems are nor do I care, that's something for them to sort out. I expected a new "WOW" camera just like Nikon did with their Z9 which is a "WOW" camera in their circles.
I met a guy at a party who had bought a Z9 and was not very WOW about it, felt it was a poor mans DSLR, don't know what the latest iteration is like. Can't remember the details but I am sure they will be online somewhere.

Try doing that on a NiCon.

I present you all the glass.

Add in a 1.4x teleconvertor and you have a 1,120mm. Nikon used to make a 1,200-1,700mm f.5.6-8. The thing cost more than a luxury car. It was designed for sports photographers, and most are owned by news agencies.
I met a guy at a party who had bought a Z9

Then you have met a very well connected guy, as the Z9 is pretty rare. The first shipment to people not involved with the program was late last year, and shipments have very small and sporadic since then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom