Camera Upgrade Questions: TG-6 to ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL. We'd all like that. But water clarity and strobe power say otherwise....

My wife has decided to make some calendars for 2023 to send out to some family and friends. If anything having lots of photo's over the years let's her choose the one's she likes the most. I need to find some nice above the water shots but I take so few lol. Bottom photo is at Cebu Dive Center Moalboal looking across the sea to Negros Occidental Island. Looked like Mt Doom.

15994.jpg

15991.jpg

15992.jpg

15993.jpg

I’ve been into photography since my teens, that’s some 5 decades almost and over the years I’ve come to realise composition is so important.

Its only since I started the move to Digital some 20 years ago, I’ve realised that post production isn’t cheating, and is now part of my process, even if it’s just exposure and white balance.

While my land cameras are more of the profesional il, I’m not sure I’d want to be taking that level of camera underwater, so years back I honed my underwater skills (composition and available light) with a canon as-6 purely snorkelling though. Transiting through a number of various GoPros and now venturing deeper with a TG-6.

My advice, from experience, invest in the core skills, before upgrading. Who knows you may ultimately decide to upgrade a step or two further.

Have fun and enjoy the journey :)

Its only since I started the move to Digital some 20 years ago, I’ve realised that post production isn’t cheating, and is now part of my process, even if it’s just exposure and white balance.
This debate has always puzzled me. I had a black-and-white darkroom in my bedroom closet from middle school. When I took pictures, I used various camera filters, different types of film, etc. When I made prints, I cropped, dodged, burned, varied exposure time, etc. I see no conceptual difference between those techniques (which even Ansel Adams reportedly used) and what I do in Photoshop; it's all intended to make the picture look like what caught my eye in the first place, or better.

This debate has always puzzled me. I had a black-and-white darkroom in my bedroom closet from middle school. When I took pictures, I used various camera filters, different types of film, etc. When I made prints, I cropped, dodged, burned, varied exposure time, etc. I see no conceptual difference between those techniques (which even Ansel Adams reportedly used) and what I do in Photoshop; it's all intended to make the picture look like what caught my eye in the first place, or better.
I agree with this with a proviso and that is that the end result is honest. For instance, if you take a shot of something interesting but not a great shot so you grab a better shot from the internet and install it in your photo and then claim it's yours.

I agree with this with a proviso and that is that the end result is honest. For instance, if you take a shot of something interesting but not a great shot so you grab a better shot from the internet and install it in your photo and then claim it's yours.
Why bother, when we have Chat GPT? 😉

This does not really apply (or certainly not to nearly the same extent) to underwater photography, but if I believe that it is obvious that an image I am showing is a composite, then I will sometimes not state the obvious and will give credit to people for seeing the image for what it is.

The most common example of this is with astrophotography where the sky will be a long (possibly a one minute) exposure done with a star tracker to keep the stars pinpoints and a separate exposure done of the foreground without the star tracker so that it is sharp. To me, it is obvious that it is two separate images, so I may or may not specifically mention it.

Another example would be exposure bracketing. If I blend a few images with different exposures to extend the dynamic range (what was at one time referred to as "HDR") again, I may or may not specifically mention it.

Here is an image that represents the first type that I mentioned. It is a shot of the Mobius Arch in the Alabama Hills near Lone Pine California taken at Blue Hour (technically during Nautical Twilight) with a second image taken from about 30 feet away after if got dark (about an hour later). To me, it is obvious that this is an image in which the night sky was blended into a twilight shot so I may or may not mention it. I am not trying to deceive anybody, I just think that most people will recognize how the final image was achieved.

Owens Valley Work Shop 03.jpg

You can use the Olympus Workspace which is free and has more features than lightroom.
Also read this thread.

These from a TG5 & TG6. No special lenses just camera and lights.

View attachment 755482

View attachment 755483

View attachment 755484

View attachment 755485
more features than lightroom.
Can you please elaborate this sentence ? I don’t have lightroom and I struggle to use OM workspace. Thanks

you can do a search on the internet and find a lot of reviews on these programs

Back
Top Bottom