Camera Upgrade Questions: TG-6 to ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to crop the photos in most cases which makes them lose a lot of data and render them too small to print.
Herein is the major problem; you need to get closer, to work on composition. If your ultimate goal is (say) a 16x20 print, you do not want to crop, even with 16 or 20 MP.

Q
If you really want to become a good photographer and be able to blow your shots up to poster size, I would suggest a huge step backwards. Get a Nikonos V, there are many available with many lens, and macro tubes, and other accessories, for very affordable prices. Shoot E6 color slide film you can develop it cheaply your self, and project your images as large as you like (within reason). You can also buy a high resolution side scanner for digitization and printing.

This little bit of heresy, will hone your skills very quickly, with a limited setup, and only 24-36 shots per dive/boat trip you will be forced to focus on composition and lighting you won't have the option to flail away, snaping pictures with wild abandon. Macro tubes and framers will teach you about getting close and framing tight shots. Wide angle will teach you to leverage natural light.
That was a dive down memory reef
My wife used that years ago and still has it

Herein is the major problem; you need to get closer, to work on composition. If your ultimate goal is (say) a 16x20 print, you do not want to crop, even with 16 or 20 MP.

My problem when I got my TG6 was composition, lighting, understanding what settings to use for lights and distance. I might look at doing an UW course in Lembeh where the ops cater to photographers. For me buying a better camera is not going to improve my photography if my skillset is lacking. This is probably my favourite photo I took in Lembongan on a drift dive. I was head into the current with my fins adjusting my direction but being pushed backwards. Other divers went head first over this coral platform and missed the Scorpion underneath it. I steadied myself and turned on my video lights and snapped this photo before the current swept me away.

A SCORPION FISH TAMARIND DIVERS.jpg

This explains a lot, and confirms the suggestions that you need training, not equipment. You do not use a tripod to shoot nudis.

Really? So all of the 4K videos of nudis was shot handheld? Good to know. I think it is time to end this thread.

Really? So all of the 4K videos of nudis was shot handheld?

Mine are. I don't have a tripod. I have not met any other person taking video's of nudi's using a tripod but hey the world is a big place maybe some people do.

Doing hand held in macro is hard as any slight movement is reflected in the video.

Really? So all of the 4K videos of nudis was shot handheld? Good to know. I think it is time to end this thread.
Video yes. Stills, no. You have been talking about stills.

Well tursiops, if you had actually looked through the thread, you would have seen that I posted a photo of a flamingo tongue and a lettuce slug I took on a trip to Cozumel. I took it with the TG-6 (or TG-5, can't remember which I had on that particular trip). And yes, I took it handheld while swimming against the current, so I do know it is possible to take photos of nudis and other macro without a tripod. The most dramatic photos I have seen were taken by photographers using a tripod and sometimes the controversial method of placing the nudi on a black plastic slate or other dark background. It definitely makes for incredible photos, but I am not sure the nudis enjoy it much.

Again, when I started this thread, I asked 3 somewhat specific questions about camera systems. I received 5 or 6 replies that were helpful and answered the questions asked. I also got 5 pages of replies that had nothing to do with the questions asked. As an example, if I had posted that I was going to buy new golf clubs, and wanted to know if anyone could post their experience with the new Callaway, Ping, and Titleist clubs, and instead got replies that said:

'Are you sure you are getting all you can out of your current golf clubs? Maybe you should spend more time at the range instead".

or 'Have you considered going to a golf academy? I have the same clubs as you and I shoot much better so I don't think your clubs are the problem'.

Thanks, but that isn't what I asked and it isn't helpful to me or to anyone else who reads this thread hoping to find information about different camera systems and instead finds this increasingly cluttered thread full of responses that aren't relevant to the questions asked.

Well tursiops, if you had actually looked through the thread, you would have seen that I posted a photo of a flamingo tongue and a lettuce slug I took on a trip to Cozumel. I took it with the TG-6 (or TG-5, can't remember which I had on that particular trip). And yes, I took it handheld while swimming against the current, so I do know it is possible to take photos of nudis and other macro without a tripod. The most dramatic photos I have seen were taken by photographers using a tripod and sometimes the controversial method of placing the nudi on a black plastic slate or other dark background. It definitely makes for incredible photos, but I am not sure the nudis enjoy it much.

Again, when I started this thread, I asked 3 somewhat specific questions about camera systems. I received 5 or 6 replies that were helpful and answered the questions asked. I also got 5 pages of replies that had nothing to do with the questions asked. As an example, if I had posted that I was going to buy new golf clubs, and wanted to know if anyone could post their experience with the new Callaway, Ping, and Titleist clubs, and instead got replies that said:

'Are you sure you are getting all you can out of your current golf clubs? Maybe you should spend more time at the range instead".

or 'Have you considered going to a golf academy? I have the same clubs as you and I shoot much better so I don't think your clubs are the problem'.

Thanks, but that isn't what I asked and it isn't helpful to me or to anyone else who reads this thread hoping to find information about different camera systems and instead finds this increasingly cluttered thread full of responses that aren't relevant to the questions asked.

As one of the posters questioning the purchase of new gear, I'll apologise here for not answering your actual questions. I based my response on the included pictures and jumped to the conclusion that you can get better pictures which will print bigger (your desired goal) without having to go through the significant expense of new gear, thus potentially saving you a lot of money and heartache. A post which while not answering your questions is still one that I feel was useful toward your goal. You have since added better pictures which supported your desire to be able to print bigger. I think you've received many comments based purely on the visible evidence from the first post where we have looked at the images and paid more attention to them than your actual questions for specific camera experience/details. I think their is some validity there as you would have just ended up with big prints of meh pictures (based on the original ones posted). To that end, almost any bigger sensor camera would answer your desire for bigger prints/ better DR. But that still doesn't answer your questions, to which the only people that need now reply are those with actual experience with said cameras. You've received some posts from such people, and I don't have any of the cameras that you're considering so I'll bow out of this thread now.

He is still convicted that his issue is an inadequate camera. Yet, his evidence is only that his pictures aren't very good for large blowups. He talks about Cozumel, which is a terrible place to try and get good pix, especially macro or even just small subjects, without superlative diving and shooting skills. It is not fundamentally a camera problem....it is camera-use problem. He insists he asked the right question in the beginning....and objects to those who tried to provide answers to the questions he should have asked. He is fixated on certain equipment solutions to his perceived problem, and objects to those who provide better equipment solutions, saying he doesn't want to carry all that stuff around. He want a small camera, cheap, with an enormous number of MP so he can shoot from a distance and crop like crazy, and let's hope he has good ambient light because his strobes are not going to be adequate at distance, but I'm guessing he'll use them anyway so the foreground is blown out and color-balanced differently than the ambient-light illuminated background where his subject is. Hopeless. No point in taking a photo-class either; he won't be listening nor respond to critique and feedback.

Thanks Tursiops, as always a very helpful response. You are nothing if not consistent. You don't know anything about me, about what training I may or may not have had, or what my goals are (btw, I have done two trips with two different photo guides working on technique). But thanks for deciding that you know what is best for me, and for continuing to add irrelevant posts to this topic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom