The New OM Systems OM-1 Camera, is it a "WOW" Camera or just and Upgrade?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm
at 75 I am hoping to dive for a couple more years.
I am too. My next trip is back out to Cocos Island this fall, assuming the COVID craziness has settled down by then.

Hi Ron, I am off to Bali in July, assuming the same as you ie no hotel quarantine etc. I think I will stay for 3 weeks and get my diving head back on as it's over 2 years since I've been in the water.

Based on specs and the announced upgradability including 8K raw output coming, the Z9 could be in the running for one of the best video cameras you can buy.

IMO there is a big difference between fast prime pro telephotos and the non-pro particularly the zooms. But that doesn't mean that the non-pro zooms aren't great lenses. Sort of like comparing a SUV to super car, yeah the SUV will get the job done. But if you want to go fast (or in photos lower light) you want the super car.
Manatee, Ah! I see the difference, I have almost zero interest in video as the few times I have attempted it on birds the post-processing did my head in.
Agree re pro lenses, I would like to own a couple of them and missed out on a 12-100 Oly pro yesterday but I'm fooling myself if I thought it would improve my photography.
I was amazed that I came 3rd in my local photography group's annual awards for a low light shot I took. First (possibly last) prize EVA! Mind you that is the only competition I have entered into.

Agree re pro lenses, I would like to own a couple of them

I owned the reasonable priced ones, but for the super telephotos I just rented them when I needed them as they aren't something that I need everyday.

Hi Ron, I am off to Bali in July, assuming the same as you ie no hotel quarantine etc. I think I will stay for 3 weeks and get my diving head back on as it's over 2 years since I've been in the water.
HI Ron, heard a couple of days ago that the Bali quarantine restrictions are lifted and just have to wait in your hotel for PCR results. I am off in July not sure whether to go for 2 or 3 weeks at two resorts.

I've read a couple of articles and watched some videos and I think this OM1 is a worthy upgrade and I will certainly buy one when I can pick one up SH at a reasonable price. I do bird photography and this camera has a lot that is good for my stuff. Great improvement in tracking, high ISO and focussing. Have no great impulse to buy this for UW pics.

This is what I need it for:

Have a look at these images with no noise reduction and no sharpening.

Some of the tech. stuff.

Stacked CMOS (the next generation of chip design, building from BSI technology) has been central to the performance of the latest pro-grade sports cameras from Sony, Canon and Nikon. And, while the OM-1 doesn't offer quite such impressive readout speeds (presumably because it's reading out four photodiodes per pixel: 80 million in all), its rapid burst rates make it the fastest camera we've ever tested.

What do you do to get a sense of the capabilities of a camera that can shoot at full resolution, with full autofocus, at up to 50 frames per second? Sports and wildlife shooting are the obvious answer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom