CCR bailout reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What‘s oceanic’s reputation in tech diving? It seems like they don’t have a DIN version and no oxygen kit available. Also I can’t find a blanking plug for oceanic first stage. That will make it problematic to use as O2 and dil 1st stage. Also, the spring inside the oceanic first stage isn’t strong enough to make the IP higher then 230 psi and it makes it impossible to make deep dives over 300ft. I been having trouble to find a solution for this.

It is not a brand that you see very often in tech diving. Hollis is their sister brand aimed at technical diving that is slightly less uncommon, but still not a regulator brand that you would see many recommend unless they are only an AUP or now Huish dealer.

If you're going down the mCCR route and have to plug a first stage, just deal with the fact that you'll have an Apeks DS4 for oxygen and get over it. It's a one off thing that none of us really like, but all have to deal with. It's the one Apeks regulator I still own and only begrudgingly because of the blanking plugs and high IP *though I do secretly have a Poseidon 3960 with a blanking plug that will run pretty high IP's on its own but the Apeks is more convenient*.

Since you're in Canada, I don't know what prices you're looking at, but as of Feb 20 2023, an Apeks XTX50/DST in DIN from Dive Right in Scuba is $790, and a Signature Stage Kit from Deep6 which includes hoses and SPG is $600. Just the 1st/2nd is $480. It's not a third of the cost, but it's 60% of the cost for a regulator that I think is actually superior to the Apeks and that's not including the free first service. If you want something similar to the DS4, the same with the Excursion first stage would save another $120 which is less than half of the Apeks.

I'm all for bucking the system and being "weird", but this is one of the few times that I wouldn't try to save $100 because it may come back to bite you one day, not necessarily underwater, but I'll say there is a reason you don't see them in the tech community.

It is not a brand that you see very often in tech diving. Hollis is their sister brand aimed at technical diving that is slightly less uncommon, but still not a regulator brand that you would see many recommend unless they are only an AUP or now Huish dealer.

If you're going down the mCCR route and have to plug a first stage, just deal with the fact that you'll have an Apeks DS4 for oxygen and get over it. It's a one off thing that none of us really like, but all have to deal with. It's the one Apeks regulator I still own and only begrudgingly because of the blanking plugs and high IP *though I do secretly have a Poseidon 3960 with a blanking plug that will run pretty high IP's on its own but the Apeks is more convenient*.

Since you're in Canada, I don't know what prices you're looking at, but as of Feb 20 2023, an Apeks XTX50/DST in DIN from Dive Right in Scuba is $790, and a Signature Stage Kit from Deep6 which includes hoses and SPG is $600. Just the 1st/2nd is $480. It's not a third of the cost, but it's 60% of the cost for a regulator that I think is actually superior to the Apeks and that's not including the free first service. If you want something similar to the DS4, the same with the Excursion first stage would save another $120 which is less than half of the Apeks.

I'm all for bucking the system and being "weird", but this is one of the few times that I wouldn't try to save $100 because it may come back to bite you one day, not necessarily underwater, but I'll say there is a reason you don't see them in the tech community.
I second tbone’s advice on D6. They’re good quality regs with really affordable price tags and very easy to service. I know they use viton o rings but I can’t remember if they arrive O2 cleaned.

Personally I use the same model as my OC stage regs because I know that’s something I can trust my life on if I have to bailout.

I agree with @tbone1004 and @divingx , the Deep 6 regs are great. I use them in my SM setup and have used them on tech dives. I also use them as my bailout regs when I am on the CCR. I am working on getting a set for my deco regs now as well as a ST/BM setup for when I have to teach in that config.

Priced right and breathe like a dream. Everyone I have ever let use them says the same.

Have you considered used/pre-owned regulators vs. buying cheap (low quality)? You can find a lot of great deals on older Scubapro regulators that can be serviced easily (such as the G250 and MK25).

Have you considered used/pre-owned regulators vs. buying cheap (low quality)? You can find a lot of great deals on older Scubapro regulators that can be serviced easily (such as the G250 and MK25).
Since the OP is in Canada I would suggest something sealed. The Great Lakes at depth are cold and hoovering your bailout from CO2 to the point of causing a regulator free flow would be bad.

Nice regs and would be perfect... but sometimes a challenge to get serviced in north america

Yeah I've heard that. Just wanted to poke at the sealed vs non sealed

Yeah I've heard that. Just wanted to poke at the sealed vs non sealed
I've used my MK25 in the Great Lakes and its 3-4C on the bottom. It works, but I also didnt have a CO2 hit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom