Cayman Aggressor - Nov 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Venus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Just realised that there is a Cayman sub-forum ....

Morning Everyone

I'm in the process of booking my next trip and as usual my dates are really tight and non-negotiable due to office committment
shakehead.gif

I went to Grand Cayman land based years ago before I really knew what I was doing or what I should be looking for .... I was very inexperienced

Would you support a trip to Cayman on the Aggressor in Nov
I know we can't predict the weather, but is there a reason to avoid Cayman at all costs during Nov

Thanks ..... Venus

I have been on the Cayman Aggressor (II, III & IV) and had nice experiences (unlike the disastrous trip this year on the Aggressor Carib Dancer). I was on the Cayman Aggressor IV in Feb of this year and while the boat needs 'refreshing' it was still a nice experience. Food was VERY good/excellent (chef was a sous chef on Carnival Cruise Line and was a true chef as opposed to a galley cook)... thus if your interest continues need to verify who is the chef since food can make or break a boat trip as was clearly documented in the write ups on the extremely bad experience on the Carib Dancer (June 30-July 7). Now to a word of caution with the Cayman Aggressor when booking during the 'winter' months. The wind (particularly from the Northeast) pick up noticeably and can average 15 mph+ daily. These winter winds can dictate whether the boat can make the crossing from Grand Cayman (GC) to Little Cayman & Brac. I am routinely down on Grand Cayman and have seen the Cayman Aggressor moored around Grand Cayman (depending on the wind direction on the leeward side of the island) for the entire week of the trip. IF your intent/focus is to go to Little Cayman/Brac (which has fantastic diving and having the well known Bloody Bay/Bloody Bay Wall dive sites) then you are taking a chance that the wind will keep the boat around GC. Our last trip on the Cayman Aggressor was February of this year and we grabbed the trip at the last minute just to specifically get to Little Cayman/Brac dive sites (Both Ellen and I have our East End Green Shorts and also have been diving GC since about 1995)... we were down at our place on the East End for three weeks in February and typical winds of 15+mph the first week and then we were to get on the Cayman Aggressor the second week AND.... the wind died to such a point when we arrived Little Cayman Sunday morning this was the sea>>>

DSC01117-1.jpg

and when we returned back to GC for the third week the winds were back up to 15+ mph. So, wind gods can be with you, but unlike taking the Cayman Aggressor in the summer months, winter months can be iffy.

Hope this helps

Since the best diving to be had in the Caymans is Bloody Bay Wall at Little Cayman, you could also consider just doing a land based trip to Little Cayman and dive there all week. They usually will do a morning trip over to the Brac for a dive on the Tibbets wreck and one other site. We are doing this trip at the first of November this year and our price is $1381 and it includes all meals, 17 dives, rooms, etc. and the food, resort, and staff are top notch.

Either do the Little Cayman Beach Resort as suggested or try the Belize Aggressor. Winter is a very iffy crossing for the CAIV.

Back
Top Bottom