Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haleyeah

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am part of a group that has wanted to do the Cayman Aggressor for some time now. The only time we can really make this trip work is early to mid December. We are a little hesitant because we have heard it's hit or miss when it comes to making the crossing to LC and CB during this month. Does anyone have a rough estimate on the odds of this boat making the crossing during this time?.....We have dove the caymans before but only from 7 mile beach with Don Fosters. If we were to stay on Grand Cayman due to rough waters between the islands, would we still visit a variety of sites that the shore shops don't?....Any feedback will help! Thanks!

David

We have too. Do what I do - read the trip reports here - they only went over to the Sisters 2/4 trips this past December Aggressor Fleet - The Ultimate in LiveAboards and compare. Check the archives for previous years also.

Just for fun I compared their Christmas week (Dec. 26) trip with my log. The only dives they listed that I have never done is Jax Dax and Neptunes Wall. Most of them I did in one week with an SMB-based operator over about 20 dives ($600+ later...)

It appears they just cruised north to the SRC area then back along West Bay/SMB stopping along the way. Not even going east or south. Weather obviously was a factor but I could list at least 4-5 SMB based operators that would take you to all those same dives. Plus why not go south? if weather was a factor north it's often calmer. My buddy vacations in Bodden Town over the holidays and it's always nice.

I think it's weird they end every trip at Devils Grotto. First of all it sucks unless the silversides are in in summer. I dove the Grotto from Eden Rock one day - it's not any kind of long swim. And went to dinner downtown afterwards after all the cruisers left.

Obviously if conditions allow the Sisters crossing, it's the better option. Bloody Bay Wall and the Tibbetts have been on my list for a while. I'll probably get to dive both soon, Sis just bought a condo on Brac.

I think I've just talked myself out of it...lol.

Last edited:
Wow diversteve. I didn't know those logs existed. That's very helpful....I went back over the logs from the last 4 years. For trips starting on a December date, they made the crossing 8 times and did not 8 times. So it's essentially a coin flip whether or not you get to dive LC. November has slightly better odds. 11 made trips over and 6 stayed on GC (65%)....If you do not decide on the cayman aggressor, what other place would you look at for a live aboard in December?

In that same general area look into Turks/Caicos - I've been on the Explorer if you have specific questions.

Caribbean Diving Aboard Turks & Caicos Explorer II - $300 off the last two weeks of Dec.
Aggressor Fleet - The Ultimate in LiveAboards

We chose it because it's the bigger boat. And more of the cabins are main deck. And beds instead of bunks. They both do the same run - at least twice Aggressor was on the next mooring over.

if you don't see a lot of sharks/turtles/rays once they move to West Caicos or French Cay it's because you're sitting on the deck.

Back
Top Bottom