Cavern course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suggest training in at least one cavern that has high flow, such as the Ginnie Springs Ballroom. There are a lot of decent cavern instructors around, there are even some excellent ones.

You can ask members here their opinions, ask them to DM you or call you about various cavern instructors.

The NSS-CDS cavern course is not a prerequisite for nor does it count toward any later cave diver certification but it is an excellent course to give you s taste of the overhead without having to first invest in a lot of equipment. You can take this class in your normal open water gear with minor modifications.

Is cavern now a single tank only class?
Yes, cavern is a single tank course.

Cavern may not be taken in double tanks IAW NSSCDS standards.
And other agencies? I now PADI does not allow doubles. TDI does, but limites the dive to 1/6 rather than thirds. Both agencies are moot on sidemount. If single tanks, don't most agencies require Y/H valves with two first stages?

If single tanks, don't most agencies require Y/H valves with two first stages?
We are talking cavern classes here, not cave. The following is copied directly from the NSSCDS standards section.
====================================================================
The NSS-CDS Cavern Diver course is a safety and awareness course aimed at open-water sport divers. It is not a prerequisite for, nor does it count toward Cave Diver training and certification.
Students in the Cavern Diver course use standard, single-tank sport diving equipment. They may not use sidemount, backmounted doubles or CCRs.

We are talking cavern classes here, not cave. The following is copied directly from the NSSCDS standards section.
====================================================================
The NSS-CDS Cavern Diver course is a safety and awareness course aimed at open-water sport divers. It is not a prerequisite for, nor does it count toward Cave Diver training and certification.
Students in the Cavern Diver course use standard, single-tank sport diving equipment. They may not use sidemount, backmounted doubles or CCRs.
I am not disputing the NSSCDS standards.
I am mentioning that other agencies also teach Cavern, with different standards.

Cavern may not be taken in double tanks IAW NSSCDS standards.
Thanks. I do have a freedom plate.

Some reasons for that are understandable, though part of the 'why take' becomes amusing:
- Improve the functionality of their single-tank, recreational dive gear. (which they donned and dialed in that week for the class...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom