Cavern course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wes Skiles Peacock Springs State Park and the Mill Pond in Marianna are good sites. Both locations have multiple caverns with a variety of conditions and size. Have fun.

Wes Skiles Peacock Springs State Park and the Mill Pond in Marianna are good sites. Both locations have multiple caverns with a variety of conditions and size. Have fun.
He wants to take a Cavern course and is looking for suggestions for instructors.

what's wrong with a PADI cavern course if all they plan on doing is cavern.
Because as a general rule they're not good classes. A high percentage of people aren't coming out of a padi cavern class with the skills they need to move further in the cave. It's a generalization, and there are some good padi instructors. For instance Capt Jim Wyatt used to teach padi's tech courses. I don't know if he teaches their cavern course or not, but if he did it would likely be a million times better than most other padi cavern courses. It's really about having a good instructor. In most cases, there are better instructors than most padi cavern instructors.
Capt Jim, Ken, Edd, and multiple others are good choices.

Scott Davenport with Earth Immersion is excellent. Reggie Ross was his instructor trainer. I did three days of guided dives with Scott in December. However, he is fully booked through sometime in August.

Because as a general rule they're not good classes. A high percentage of people aren't coming out of a padi cavern class with the skills they need to move further in the cave. It's a generalization, and there are some good padi instructors. For instance Capt Jim Wyatt used to teach padi's tech courses. I don't know if he teaches their cavern course or not, but if he did it would likely be a million times better than most other padi cavern courses. It's really about having a good instructor. In most cases, there are better instructors than most padi cavern instructors.
Capt Jim, Ken, Edd, and multiple others are good choices.
that's what I though. I was only asking cause my fiancé wants to get a cavern cert but does not want to cave dive.

what's wrong with a PADI cavern course if all they plan on doing is cavern.
Cavern is now considered a recreational level specialty vs. the first step of true cave diving instruction. Unless things have changed, the bar for becoming a PADI cavern instructor is quite low, essentially a PADI instructor who is full cave certified can request to teach cavern the same as any other specialty. This is very different than taking a cavern course from a cave instructor who will likely teach it far differently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom