Cavern course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBadger32

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Split off from thread about Blue Grotto

Should i get my cavern certs out there [at Blue Grotto]?

Do any instructors actually use BG for cavern training?
I think you can do it directly thru the resort if i understand the website correctly!

I think you can do it directly thru the resort if i understand the website correctly!

Having been at both BG, plus Ginnie and Peacock in December, I’d pick somewhere besides BG for cavern training. I’m intro to cave level and I can’t imagine doing cavern there.

Having been at both BG, plus Ginnie and Peacock in December, I’d pick somewhere besides BG for cavern training. I’m intro to cave level and I can’t imagine doing cavern there.
where would you recommend?

Ginnie. Find an instructor and then go from there.
I agree with what I think you're saying--the whole Cavern course can't be done at Blue Grotto. It's not much of a cavern, though it can be a good place to start. That said, the first day of my Cavern class we used the Ginnie Ballroom. The second day was at Peacock. If I'm not mistaken, TDI's standards require the use of at least two different sites, but maybe I'm thinking of Intro to Cave. Anyway ....

@ScubaBadger32 , to echo Marie--and not to derail this thread about Blue Grotto--the first step is to find an instructor you think you might like to work with. The instructor will take you to whatever sites the instructor deems appropriate.

Standards for the NSS-CDS is two different systems so Ginnie and Devils count as separate for Cavern. Though there is the Ginnie exception for cave courses where you can do the entire course in Devils if everything else is closed.

But yeah day 1 of both cavern and Intro can be done at BG.

I agree with what I think you're saying--the whole Cavern course can't be done at Blue Grotto. It's not much of a cavern, though it can be a good place to start. That said, the first day of my Cavern class we used the Ginnie Ballroom. The second day was at Peacock. If I'm not mistaken, TDI's standards require the use of at least two different sites, but maybe I'm thinking of Intro to Cave. Anyway ....

@ScubaBadger32 , to echo Marie--and not to derail this thread about Blue Grotto--the first step is to find an instructor you think you might like to work with. The instructor will take you to whatever sites the instructor deems appropriate.

Yes, I meant Ginnie for at least one, but if I had my choice, no BG for cavern. There are much nicer and CHEAPER sites. BG is $50/day. Ginnie is $30/day. Peacock as a FL state park is $4/day.

any dive centers you would recommend going through?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom