Cave Training in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should try a rebreather with no bubbles. :D
I was swimming in a pool and could hear the wind pushing the water and water hitting the walls. There was three of us in the pool and you could hear the solenoid fire and when someone exhauled into the enviorment. You go from loud to total silence.

I was in Jackson Blue and the bubbles run through the ceiling there and make a very lous noise.

Andrew

Very interesting. I won't claim that I know anything about cave diving; but here's an experience I will share. I have been out at CSSP before diving in/around Cisco the Shark.

There have been times when I know that I am the only diver anywhere near/around/close/in/above Cisco. At this time I have been swimming through the length of Cisco. I swear I can hear some sort of loud booming sound while I am swimming through the shark. If I listen carefully, the sound beat approximately matches my exhale rate (albeit with a time delay). I could speculate on what I think the situation is but I will save that for a different thread. My point is, my breathing can create a spooky sounding 'sonic boom' type sound inside this cavity. I won't second guess any description given by cave divers. Just thought I would share my story.

Last edited:
The noise of bubbles in caves can be a bit concerning at first. In OW if you are inhaling or pausing between breaths there are no bubbles and you get used to that. In some caves though the noise of bubbles carries on for a LONG time. Hole In The Wall is a good example. Bubbles roll up the tight,sloping entry passage seemingly forever. At first I thought I had a leaking hose or something.

Hey, ya'll! Zinc and I sitting in a little taqueria eating some awesome tacos (nothing like Taco Cabana btw) and eating the best Pozole on the planet. Right across from us is a hand painted DIMWIT dive flag. Either the concept is catching on or there's plenty of folks who don't know which way to draw the line across the flag. I imagine it's the later. :D

I can't wait to see this.......................

Zinc and speedy in the same sentence.
I'm afraid that you'll probably have to go cave diving with him, Shawn. I've never seen him move this fast anywhere else. :wink:

I did it in pieces as well: Cavern (I took this out of curiousity and didn't move on to Intro/Basic for years and years b/c cave diving really wouldn't have fit in my life at that time); Basic; then Apprentice/Full Cave. For me, another reason to do it in pieces was because I found it physically/mentally exhausting (and I get cold, even in a drysuit!). I just couldn't see myself being able to learn much after three or four days of N. Florida caves (especially Devil's, since traveling against high flow has not come easily to me). It was an issue of personal limits: I love diving, but just being in the water/sun all day wears me out (even without having lugging 10 tons of gear).
I know what you mean. I told Zinc this morning as we were waiting for German that I was glad we'll be done tomorrow because I don't think I can do this for too many more days. I think we'll be coming home and resting from our "vacation." :wink: Even German is tired and he is a cave diving machine.

Sounds beautiful... The first time I went in a cave, I thought, "This is where God goes to meditate..." I wish I was there!! Since I'm not, though, thank you for the descriptions of the cave!
I love that...it's perfect...

Great reports guys!! I have never gave cave diving a thought, now you are putting idea's in my head:no, sounds like a blast.
Excellent...we'll be looking for cave diving buddies after this. You can count on that. :14:

Today's dive was in a cave out of town. There was no direct access to the cave like there is for Aerolito. We just parked the jeep on the highway, geared up, and hiked down a path in the jungle with our doubles until we reached the cenote. The entrance was not like Aerolito either. Rather it was more like a medium-sized hole in the ground that seeped into the outlying area a little. German mentioned, after we got into the water, that he had seen a medium-sized alligator at this location before. "We'll probably at least hear it," he said. Nice.

Just before we entered this small, flooded hole in the ground, we ran through our equipment matching, air, and long hose drills. Then we dropped down into the opening and into the cave. Our 1/3 pressure was to be 800 psi, which was a little on the conservative side. That meant I could breath my tank down to 2200 psi since I had nearly 3000 psi of pressure. As with all the previous dives we all had dbl aluminum 80s to carry our back gas. There was no room in the small opening on the surface for an S-Drill, so we double checked that our long hoses were free once more before proceeding inside the cave.

The line actually started near the surface so there was no need for a primary reel on this dive. Instead we followed the line (not the main (gold) line) into the cave.

Brandon ran the line today and I was line support. I think German has finally determined that we're at least fairly safe to dive with in a cave system. Today's dive was mainly to apply the skills we've already learned and attempt to tie off at the end of one line, navigate to the middle of the other and creating a "T". On the route we were taking we planned to tie off two jumps and one "T" and pass by a couple of other Ts in the line...all of which can create confusion if not marked correctly.

This cave was interesting. They each seem to have their own personalities. Even the different passages are very different. Our course took us through some very interesting passages. Some were pretty wide open with stalactites and columns. Some were very, very narrow. We even had an opportunity to navigate through some very close quarters though some small stalactites and columns. At one point on the way back to the opening we also passed another entrance to the cenote.

We saw very little in the way of animal life. In fact, I only saw one tiny shrimp that German collected for scientific purposes. It turns out that it was not the right shrimp, however. Brandon saw an interesting brittle star. That's about it in this cave that we could see.

These passages had many more stalactites, stalagmites and columns. I found a room that was full of undisturbed stalactites. I note this because, unfortunately, many of the stalactites in the main caves are broken either from erosion or diver error.

The haloccline (where salt and fresh water meet) was beautiful here at some points. In one location, I went above the halocline when Brandon was ahead of me and German was behind. Brandon's bubbles created a rippling effect in the heavier salt water and his light cast an eerie glow. From above the halocline it was like I was flying in the air above a lake, looking down. Amazing...

By the time we returned to the entrance I had completely forgotten about the crocodile until I noticed I was the lucky fellow who was going to surface first. I was ascending slowly anyway, and already looking up, but I have to admit I was more observant as usual. :wink:

For our second dive German, who is in charge of the conservation and security of the cenotes on Cozumel, wanted to check out a very small passage with no permanent line. German lead the dive and laid the line into this small tunnel as Brandon and I followed. It was very tight and we had to move very slowly to avoid silting out the cave and/or breaking off the stalactites that hung precariously from the ceiling. I felt a little like an explorer, swimming into this area without a permanent line. Unfortunately, we didn't get too far in, maybe 300', before the tunnel ended in a small room and we had to turn the dive. Still, we loved it...too cool...

Excellent...we'll be looking for cave diving buddies after this. You can count on that. :14:

Well with my new job, I am sure I will be buying way to much scuba gear so I might be ready in a year or so. :eyebrow:

I can tell you're tired... a few little typos here, a little less energy in the telling of the story... and somehow the medium-sized alligator managed to become a crocodile during your dive! Bet by next week it'll be a dinosaur...

I can tell you're tired... a few little typos here, a little less energy in the telling of the story... and somehow the medium-sized alligator managed to become a crocodile during your dive! Bet by next week it'll be a dinosaur...
:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: So true... We're exhausted, but it's been soooo worth it :D

k-valve:
From above the halocline it was like I was flying in the air above a lake, looking down.

You're living a reality few people even have the vision to dream of. Thanks for keeping the log updated.

Got up early, with both of us commenting on how sore we were... head to toe I can't think of many parts that haven't taken some beating during the last week. I've got a line burn on the inside of my right index finger... it started with blind line drills at the beginning of the week and has only gotten worse. It doesn't help that the first five days we were in Cenote Aerolita, which has tons of life growing everywhere, especially on the line (I’m certain I thoroughly cleaned the line of all the stinging stuff growing there. :wink:

German mentioned that Tom Iliffe of Texas A&M said he thought Cenote Aerolita to be the most biologically diverse cave in the world. Wow. I've not seen too many caves, but that one had tons of living stuff everywhere; radically different types all over the place... there's only one way to see it of course which is one reason why we are training in the first place. :wink:

Today, graduation day, we skipped the mainland where all the known caves are which we can return to visit anytime on our own and opted instead for yet another of German’s secret Cozumel caves. Once again we suited up on the side of the road, this time for an even longer hike through the jungle, with absolutely no trail at all. It was well worth the hike, and I've never been so happy to finally see a small dark brown watery hole in the ground. :D

As yesterday, we rested awhile in the water, checked our equipment, and then dropped down in the murky water to the crystal clear cavern below. Once on the line, we did our S-drill, and then moved on to multiple T’s and several jumps. This was a really dark cave, meaning that even the white limestone was covered with dark stain or silt. The passages went from large open rooms to small minor restrictions…

Note: yes we’re tired, and it’s not easy to describe how amazingly beautiful and radically different each passage is in writing… so I’ll limit my comments to things I can describe in words. We were like astronauts in almost every way… totally dependent on our life support systems, weightless, floating into the void, sometimes small cracks, other times vast rooms where even our high powered canister lights could not penetrate the other side. Speleothems, i.e. Stalactites, stalagmites, and a whole bunch of other wild formations only a geologist could name were everywhere. Pardon the caps, but I can only describe it as AWESOME in the truest, goose bumps sense of the word.

We proceeded further into the cave and turned the dive before reaching thirds, as German had more drills in store for us before we finished. We returned to the exit, then again back into the cave for another lights out, touch contact, then out of air while blind exit across several T’s from the cave. We made some minor mistakes, i.e. hand & long hose placement in formation while maintaining line and touch contact, but all considered, we made it out ok and this is why we must continue to drill and practice, practice, practice.

Upon surfacing, some instructor critique, and rest, German gave us the grip and bestowed upon us his blessing as Full Cave Divers! :D I’ll withhold his final words of wisdom, as they are to be earned, and while very short, they would probably violate Scubaboard’s TOS :wink:

It has been six year’s since I began diving, and my OW DM first turned me onto the sport when over lunch I asked where he loved to dive. “Florida” he said. Really, I asked, is the water really blue off shore in Florida? “Not sure” he said… “I dive underground.”

A long chain of events, including years of training, a host of excellent instructors, and finding the right cave diving partner, has allowed me to finally get my learners permit to go explore the final frontier. Safe diving to all who venture there! -Zn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom