Cave Training in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Today was more about hands on experience and diving than classroom discussions. German told us this morning that what we need now is to do some cave diving. Zinc and I liked that comment! :)

With that we headed to Aerolito to finish the complex circuit we started yesterday. Once there we kitted up. Zinc had all his gear this time :D, so things went quickly. I have to tell ya'll...at least those of you who know Zinc...that he's been getting ready FAST. I know, I know, those of you who dive with him are having a hard time visualizing this, but it's true. All we had to do was get the guy and his gear by a cave entrance and he's all of the sudden Speedy Gonzalez. :D

My job was to run the lines today and Zinc was line support. We entered the cave, laid the primary line, and headed down the permanent line. The big difference today was that we headed counter clockwise around the circuit rather than clockwise as we did yesterday.

Our objective was to reach the cookie we placed on the line yesterday. Remember...we placed the cookie exactly where we had depleted 1/3 of our gas supply. If we were able to get to this cookie going the opposite direction today before depleting a 1/3 of our back gas then we would know we would be able to complete the entire circuit with plenty of air to get back to the cave entrance...even in the event of a slight emergency.

The dive went smoothly. We passed lots of different rock formations, placed one line jump and passed a couple of line Ts. There were also several unmarked jumps we saw along the way. Interestingly, we spotted a sea star that German later told us was a species endemic to this cave. In other words, you can't find this sea star anywhere else in the world. Pretty cool, huh?

The cave on this leg of the circuit became even narrower at one point than yesterday. In fact, we had the opportunity to pass through our first real minor restriction. For the non-cave divers a minor restriction is one that has to be passed through single file. A major restriction is one that requires a sidemount rig and can't be passed through with regular doubles. Anyway, the restriction was indeed tight. My shoulders barely touched each side of the cave and my stomach and doubles grazed the top and bottom at the same time. Surprisingly, it didn't cause me any apprehension at all. Later, Zinc, said he actually found the tighter caves to be more comfortable as he didn't have to worry about the guideline.

Here's something interesting. While we were in the narrow passages our air bubbles created vibrations somehow in the cave and produced a very loud, very deep humming. It was a little creepy, admittedly, but it was certainly something I had never experienced before. Same old, same old, right?...learning and experiencing something new each and every day. :14:

We made the jump, passed the two line Ts we needed to and finally came to the cookie we placed on the line during yesterday's dive. At that point I was only 50 psi from hitting my 1/3. Close, but plenty of backgas to continue the circuit safely. Zinc unlocked his cookie from the line and as we continued. He picked up the two jump reels he left on the backside of the circuit yesterday. Once we hit the main line we turned away from the cave entrance for 20' or so and picked up the jump reel I placed on this dive.

We turned toward the entrance and proceeded down the main line and back to the cave entrance picking up our primary reel along the way. One complex circuit successfully completed during a dive of 78 minutes at a max depth of 59'.

We all totally enjoyed the dive. Even German said he had fun. That's pretty cool when your instructor is able to have fun too. Not that we wasn't keeping an eagle eye on us...he was.

We did make a second dive to practice a couple of drills: lost diver and air share while the out of gas diver had no mask. Both went well.

We don't know what German has on the menu for us tomorrow, but we'll keep you posted! Safe diving!

Great reports guys!! I have never gave cave diving a thought, now you are putting idea's in my head:no, sounds like a blast.

Here's something interesting. While we were in the narrow passages our air bubbles created vibrations somehow in the cave and produced a very loud, very deep humming. It was a little creepy, admittedly, but it was certainly something I had never experienced before. Same old, same old, right?...learning and experiencing something new each and every day. :14:

Very interesting. I won't claim that I know anything about cave diving; but here's an experience I will share. I have been out at CSSP before diving in/around Cisco the Shark.

There have been times when I know that I am the only diver anywhere near/around/close/in/above Cisco. At this time I have been swimming through the length of Cisco. I swear I can hear some sort of loud booming sound while I am swimming through the shark. If I listen carefully, the sound beat approximately matches my exhale rate (albeit with a time delay). I could speculate on what I think the situation is but I will save that for a different thread. My point is, my breathing can create a spooky sounding 'sonic boom' type sound inside this cavity. I won't second guess any description given by cave divers. Just thought I would share my story.

Very interesting. I won't claim that I know anything about cave diving; but here's an experience I will share. I have been out at CSSP before diving in/around Cisco the Shark.

There have been times when I know that I am the only diver anywhere near/around/close/in/above Cisco. At this time I have been swimming through the length of Cisco. I swear I can hear some sort of loud booming sound while I am swimming through the shark. If I listen carefully, the sound beat approximately matches my exhale rate (albeit with a time delay). I could speculate on what I think the situation is but I will save that for a different thread. My point is, my breathing can create a spooky sounding 'sonic boom' type sound inside this cavity. I won't second guess any description given by cave divers. Just thought I would share my story.

I know what you are talking about in Sisco....the air released from us within that metal tube is quite load.....I have often wondered if that sound is created in part by the air escaping those 3" vent holes in the tubes top....as the air burst out it creates that sound.

Sounds beautiful... The first time I went in a cave, I thought, "This is where God goes to meditate..." I wish I was there!! Since I'm not, though, thank you for the descriptions of the cave!

I agree. Going through the entire course is probably not for divers without tech skills and some degree of confidence. I'm trimix certified and a TDI divemaster. Brandon is a PADI DM, has over 300 dives and has been practicing and thinking about this for some time now. In fact, he's the person who got me interested in this.

So...what I'm saying is that we already had the basic skill set required...buoyancy, finning (although my reverse fin kick still needs some fine tuning), gas planning and management, emergency procedures, etc. We also have the mindset...something I don't think you can necessarily learn through anything except diving experience.

Honestly, I think if we would have simply come down here and done Cavern and Intro Cave we would have come home disappointed. We know our limits pretty well and I'm certain we haven't surpassed them.

Air...our deepest dive to date has been 60 minutes to 60 feet. No need for anything fancy IMHO.

I did it in pieces as well: Cavern (I took this out of curiousity and didn't move on to Intro/Basic for years and years b/c cave diving really wouldn't have fit in my life at that time); Basic; then Apprentice/Full Cave. For me, another reason to do it in pieces was because I found it physically/mentally exhausting (and I get cold, even in a drysuit!). I just couldn't see myself being able to learn much after three or four days of N. Florida caves (especially Devil's, since traveling against high flow has not come easily to me). It was an issue of personal limits: I love diving, but just being in the water/sun all day wears me out (even without having lugging 10 tons of gear).

Yeah, me posting again... I'm just catching up on all these - obviously. :coffee:

I have to tell ya'll...at least those of you who know Zinc...that he's been getting ready FAST. I know, I know, those of you who dive with him are having a hard time visualizing this, but it's true. All we had to do was get the guy and his gear by a cave entrance and he's all of the sudden Speedy Gonzalez. :D

You mean, AFTER he's found replacements for the o-rings, wing nuts, etc. that he's discovered missing? :wink:

...the restriction was indeed tight. My shoulders barely touched each side of the cave and my stomach and doubles grazed the top and bottom at the same time...

The very first time I dove with the two guys with whom I took Apprentice/Full (we met up the day before our training started), I ran the reel in a cavern that had pretty poor vis and was full of tree trunks, branches, etc. I knew, generally, where the primary line was supposed to be, but hadn't been in that cave before and couldn't see much further than 20 feet while in the mouth of the cavern. Anyway, I'm swimming along, trying to find a reasonably direct route without too many branches to get caught on, and I swim through a minor restriction without giving it a second thought (it was quite nice sized and pretty smooth). Pretty quickly I realize my buddy's light isn't where (or as bright as) it should be... I give the okay... don't get an okay back... So, I look back, and I see his face through the hole on the other side of the restriction just staring at me. :shakehead: However, I can't see all of his shoulders (yeah, he's a big guy)... Oops. I give him a hold (like he had a choice) and head back to him, reeling the line up... And that was the first time I DIDN'T envy these big, strong men with whom I dive... :)

This is one of the things that motivated me to get into this. Sharing your adventures is just adding fuel to the already fully burning flame that lights my way into diving. Man I cannot wait to reach the point where I am ready to do caves.

Enjoy and make it back safe so I can buy you all a beverage.

"This is where God goes to meditate..."

Joanna, that's beautiful.

...........All we had to do was get Zinc and his gear by a cave entrance and he's all of the sudden Speedy Gonzalez. :D

I can't wait to see this.......................

Zinc and speedy in the same sentence.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom