Cave Training in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the idea of leaving a back up light. Much more obvious than a cookie. Anybody else taught to do that?

I was taught to leave either a chemical light or a back-up, with preference for the former. The idea being that (1) the chemical light radiates in all directions and for a long time vs the backup (2) a chemstick is easy to carry and (3) I might need my backup, backup light on the exit. I was taught cave before the age of LEDs however which are far more reliable, brighter and long burning backups. I keep current with NSS-CDS training and some things have changed somewhat from when I was originally taught, but nothing significantly different.

Now, where is that can of woms to open?

FWIW P

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the idea of leaving a back up light. Much more obvious than a cookie. Anybody else taught to do that? QUOTE]

I was taught to leave either a chemical light or a back-up, with preference for the former. The idea being that (1) the chemical light radiates in all directions and for a long time vs the backup (2) a chemstick is easy to carry and (3) I might need my backup, backup light on the exit. I was taught cave before the age of LEDs however which are far more reliable, brighter and long burning backups. I keep current with NSS-CDS training and some things have changed somewhat from when I was originally taught, but nothing significantly different.

Now, where is that can of woms to open?

FWIW P

Were is HUE when you need him???? :rofl3:

Hey! That's my tagline! Go get your own!

With regard to the "Hold / Lost Diver" drill, I think Ian already beat me to this answer; but I think this excercise is a good excercise in judgement. There is a time to follow orders and a time to break orders. You have to know which decision is valid for the situation as the situation evolves.

By way of Open Water analogy: You and your dive instructor are hanging out at 120 ft. Suddenly, the instructor tells you to hold. I'll be right back. After 20 minutes, the instructor doesn't return. What do you do? Do you hold for another 20 minutes at 120 ft? 40 minutes at 120 ft? What do you do? It's a great excercise in judgement.

What is this atomic number 30 of which thou dost speaketh?

That's for me to know, but get enough drinks in me and one might be able to find out :14:

Boy, that seems weird about the lost diver exercise. If someone tells me to hold, I'm going to HOLD; I'm not going to assume they're lost and go looking for them.
This was not a lost diver exercise; we had no reason to believe he was lost, nor that he had left the line. He had simply gone forward beyond where we could see him. "Hold" is a command response signal, not a vow "till death do us part." Cave divers especially must always be able to think and act on their own based on a reasonable and logical perception of the situation, especially if left behind... b/c that's what you are in that situation, on your own.

There's a great essay by George Irvine about the 18,000 foot penetration in Wakulla, where on exit they get a little confused, and he tells the team to hold and he goes looking for the right path. He is enormously proud of them because they DO hold for several minutes while he searches. Beginning to second-guess the leader and go looking for him seems to me to be a recipe for at best a lot of confusion, as A is searching where he thought B went, and B is back looking for A where he told him to stay.

I'd suggest leaving George Irvine out of this BTW, because I don't ask "What would George do?," I can think for myself; I'm NOT DIR. :14:

Once we noted that our third was approaching, we calculated how much further we could follow the line looking for him, and had we reached the third first, would have appropriately left a backup light and slate indicating we had left. Yes, this is the last part of the lost diver drill, but in this scenario, it would have been more likely that the lead diver went too far ahead and became separated. Rule of thirds is never to be violated, so you mark your turnaround point w/ light and slate for the diver to see, so if they return, there is no question where you are. :wink:

It could be a deliberate way of creating a confusing situation to see what the reaction is. If the instructor just disappears then the standard lost diver protocol comes into play. If he tells students to hold,then disappears for an unduly long time, the students have a tough decision to make. How long do you hold for? 1 minute? 10? An hour ? 1/3rds?

Exactly... We were holding, but knew our 1/3 was approaching. We could either continue to hold a few more minutes and turn right there when 1/3 reached, or use the remaining time in our 1/3 to proceed a bit further to hopefully find and signal the turn to lead diver. Either way, when you've used your 1/3, it's time to go. No sense risking two or more divers looking for someone who may have already left or is already a goner...

Zinc: You need to remember those wingnuts. Its becoming a habit :D

:rofl3: Yup, seems like some lessons are being learned out of the water... I'm gonna put like 6 wingnuts and some extra O-rings on a bungee and leave it in my travel bag. I've got these extras in my regular bag, but because Germans got a jeep we couldn't lock, we left most everything not needed at his house.

Hey! That's my tagline! Go get your own!

With regard to the "Hold / Lost Diver" drill, I think Ian already beat me to this answer; but I think this excercise is a good excercise in judgement. There is a time to follow orders and a time to break orders. You have to know which decision is valid for the situation as the situation evolves.

By way of Open Water analogy: You and your dive instructor are hanging out at 120 ft. Suddenly, the instructor tells you to hold. I'll be right back. After 20 minutes, the instructor doesn't return. What do you do? Do you hold for another 20 minutes at 120 ft? 40 minutes at 120 ft? What do you do? It's a great excercise in judgement.

BINGO!!!! Ding, ding, ding! We haaaavvvveee aaa winner!!!! Ummm...I mean survivor. :wink:

BINGO!!!! Ding, ding, ding! We haaaavvvveee aaa winner!!!! Ummm...I mean survivor. :wink:

Oops...that was me logged in accidentally as Zinc...sorry.

I completely agree with what my buddy, Zinc, said and would just like to add a couple of comments about the new posts since yesterday:

1. When German asked us to hold we did. When I said that we "inched up" that's pretty much what happened. We may have moved 10'-15' up the line just so we could see around the corner in case German was right there. This was not a lost buddy drill.

2. The cookie placed on the line had nothing to do with a lost buddy drill either. It was placed there as part of our complex circuit dive.

3. Leave it to our two British Texas Swamp Diver to stir the pot!!! You two fellas keep that can opener in your pocket! :rofl3:

How cute, you two share everything:D
Ummm...not everything...trust me on that one. :wink:

I'd suggest leaving George Irvine out of this BTW, because I don't ask "What would George do?," I can think for myself; I'm NOT DIR. :14:

You Rebel! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom