Cave Training in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again, ditto on Kvalves post, I'll add the following from my perspective...

Planning and then executing the first half of this circuit dive was very informative, exciting and fun... especially when German threw in the missing diver part, and here's my take on that:

German gave the "hold" command signal to which I responded, and passed on to John. He chose a very unique spot to do his disappearing act... a narrow passage with sharp edges everywhere; very little space on the sides (inches in places), but deep cracks everywhere leading off to who knows where. The shelves of rock sticking out were piled with silt 6-10 inches high, something we definitely did NOT want to stir up.

I watched as German dropped into several cracks, checking out ??? then he went out of sight around the bend... so we waited... time passes and a lot goes through your head as you hang there motionless, weightless, in this crazy crack underground, wondering what the instructor is doing, when John signals my attention and that he's approaching his (and my) third of gas used (German knows how to set up a challenge :crafty:). I wasn't too concerned about German, who has the SAC rate of a fish.

Anyways, we slowly moved forward to find space to further communicate via slate... we had looked forward, side to side, down, but not up... German had rounded the corner out of sight, turned off his lights, and came back in a passage above us where he could watch the little drama he'd created from above through a hole in the ceiling... where John and I failed to look for him (his one critique).

We moved forward a bit more and I saw German hiding around some out cropping rock with lights out... I gave him a big wave and we resumed on down the line. Shortly after I turned the dive as John and I approached thirds, marked the line with a cookie and headed back w/out incident.

In review, German was pleased with what his saw from his hiding spot above... we maintained composure, communication, and proper trim and stationary buoyancy in a really tight and hazardous spot with out disturbing the silt which could so easily black us out. We did begin a search and found him... had we reached our third sooner, I'm confident John and I would have appropriately called the dive and left a backup light lit on the line attached to a slate indicating we had left... German has drilled this into our head, and while it might seem difficult to some, these are the lessons that could sometime save our life.

The caves are amazing and I won't even try and describe their awesomeness in writing.

More to come as we complete the circuit tomorrow :D

What is this atomic number 30 of which thou dost speaketh?

Dont you remember the talk we had about these kinda scary dives? Jeesh ...Sounds like you are having a blast, be safe

Boy, that seems weird about the lost diver exercise. If someone tells me to hold, I'm going to HOLD; I'm not going to assume they're lost and go looking for them. There's a great essay by George Irvine about the 18,000 foot penetration in Wakulla, where on exit they get a little confused, and he tells the team to hold and he goes looking for the right path. He is enormously proud of them because they DO hold for several minutes while he searches. Beginning to second-guess the leader and go looking for him seems to me to be a recipe for at best a lot of confusion, as A is searching where he thought B went, and B is back looking for A where he told him to stay.

It just seems like a strange way to do a lost diver drill. When we did the last one, Fred was part of the dive team (#3) and just quietly went missing. When we noted he was gone, we knew we had to look for him.

I am starting to think this whole affair could make a great mini-series on truTV like BlackGold or JAIL or a few others I have watched on other channels.... Ice Road Truckers and Deadliest Catch...... now for a show title--hmmmm!! :D

I am starting to think this whole affair could make a great mini-series on truTV like BlackGold or JAIL or a few others I have watched on other channels.... Ice Road Truckers and Deadliest Catch...... now for a show title--hmmmm!! :D

"DIMWITs in Paradise"

Boy, that seems weird about the lost diver exercise. If someone tells me to hold, I'm going to HOLD; I'm not going to assume they're lost and go looking for them. There's a great essay by George Irvine about the 18,000 foot penetration in Wakulla, where on exit they get a little confused, and he tells the team to hold and he goes looking for the right path. He is enormously proud of them because they DO hold for several minutes while he searches. Beginning to second-guess the leader and go looking for him seems to me to be a recipe for at best a lot of confusion, as A is searching where he thought B went, and B is back looking for A where he told him to stay.

It just seems like a strange way to do a lost diver drill. When we did the last one, Fred was part of the dive team (#3) and just quietly went missing. When we noted he was gone, we knew we had to look for him.

Course not being there ourselves and fully knowing all the details of the dive, having only a short write up by the 2 student divers it's pretty hard to fully grasp the responses and follow-ups.

This instructor I am sure has done this exercise countless times with a goal in mind for his students. Each instructor will conduct exercises a bit different, so I am thinking he had a reason for this method of communication to his students.

We all know that in diving certain dive commands are just that, but we also know that at some point and in the case of a Hold command an action will have to follow at some point in time, the whole reason for training and skill exercises to learn.

I am not second guessing this cave instructors intend in his action from this small tid bit of casual information, but I am betting it ties neatly into the grand plan of training.

I'm not trying to criticize German. It just seemed like a strange way to set up the exercise. Maybe the OP will have some further explanation or clarification, when he gets a chance to read this.

It could be a deliberate way of creating a confusing situation to see what the reaction is. If the instructor just disappears then the standard lost diver protocol comes into play. If he tells students to hold,then disappears for an unduly long time, the students have a tough decision to make. How long do you hold for? 1 minute? 10? An hour ? 1/3rds?

I like the idea of leaving a back up light. Much more obvious than a cookie. Anybody else taught to do that?

Zinc: You need to remember those wingnuts. Its becoming a habit :D

Thanks for the great reports.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom