Cave diver drowns - Jackson Blue Springs, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Based on conversations I had with people who were in the know for the recovery, it is my understanding the victim got stuck in the restriction and got wedged. Others may have more updated info on that though.
So that was the first time he was attempting that restriction, at least in that dive, do I understand correctly?

So that was the first time he was attempting that restriction, at least in that dive, do I understand correctly?

I can't speak to the victim's previous experience with this restriction or any other attempts. That is unknown to me.

I think when there's a general element of public safety, such as any case of a dive shop pumping gas with poisonous amounts of carbon monoxide, the ability to inform rapidly is incredibly important for the general well-being of the diving community. When the accident involves an edge case of extremes, such as someone attempting a 1000' deep dive, allowing the family and friends some time for closure is only common decency.

Full disclosure, I did not know the deceased, but I was the full cave instructor of the survivor and I am friends with several friends of the deceased. We're all in shock.

Claiming there is any extra value in to discussing accidents in these pseudo analysis threads the day after somebody has died, is BS and you know it.
I disagree. The sooner evidence and facts are gathered, the better. Time tends to have an effect on memory.

This board is moderated for content,
No, it's not. It's moderated for rancor. While we expect a sparks to fly among very passionate divers, we don't allow name calling, threats, or meanness. As long as it doesn't derail the thread, telling a user that they've crossed a personal line is fine. If you feel that a comment has crossed the community line though, please use the report post function on the bottom left of every post, rather than start a fight. Bicker battles are always so tiresome.

I'm one of three people on the planet to have ever dived a particular 2000-year-old wreck
this chest thumping is silly - i can step off a trail and walk 100m into the bush and say with high degreee of certainty im the first human to be here

Making winnie the pooh comments is simply low rent.
That is the analogy that was used when I was trained to do restrictions on why the larger/more likely to get stuck diver goes first. It was not a jab at the victim in any way nor meant to make fun of him. Only make an analogy to a scene from a movie that nearly everyone would be familiar with. I can see where that could have been misconstrued but as it is an analogy that I have heard many others use when discussing how to pass restrictions, I only thought it would have served for a slightly less traumatic visual.

That is the analogy that was used when I was trained to do restrictions on why the larger/more likely to get stuck diver goes first.
As someone who has no knowledge of anyone involved in this tragic incident, an analogy is exactly what I took away from that comment.

this chest thumping is silly - i can step off a trail and walk 100m into the bush and say with high degreee of certainty im the first human to be here
My post was in reply to someone else that was saying basically that only cave diving allowed him to go somewhere that very few people have been before.

Back
Top Bottom