Cave/cavern diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PeterVV

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am going to Florida in the summer next year. I am going to dive some wrecks like the Vandenberg but I would also like to try some cave or carvern diving.
Is it possible to do that without any cave training and do anyone offer these dives with a guide and equipment rental?

I heard about Suwannee River Valley. Are there any other places and do they offer snorkeling for mnon diving friends.

I am a padi ass. inst, iantd adv. nitrox and about 200 dives. Most of my dives has been wrecks in the 25-40m (80-130ft) range ad light deco.

Try to hook up with a cave/cavern instructor in the area. They can probably give you a tour of a cave/cavern. Vortex springs has a relatively friendly cave area and is probably the closest to the Oriskany if you were heading up that way.

Cheers,
Jeff

Cavern yes - cave no

I know of no instructor that will take an open water certified diver into a cave - period. And regardless, its dangerous, no matter how many instructors you could be with.

Cave certification is a rigorous, long, and expensive proposition - many open water divers have died going into caves - its just a really bad idea.

As you would be a visitor to the USA (and very welcome) I have phrased this as nicely as I can - but you may want to revisit your training regarding overhead environments without the proper training.

You can get guided cavern dives with an instructor, but why not just take a cavern class? It's a 2 day class, will cost you about the same as 2 days of guided dives and the skills you will learn can be applied to all of your diving. If you come up to the Marianna area, there is plenty here for non-divers as well. Merritt's Mill Pond (where I do a majority of training dives with students - 3 popular cave systems, 8 total cave systems) is an average of 3 meters/10 feet deep and has lots for the snorkeler to see.

You can get guided cavern dives with an instructor, but why not just take a cavern class? It's a 2 day class, will cost you about the same as 2 days of guided dives and the skills you will learn can be applied to all of your diving. If you come up to the Marianna area, there is plenty here for non-divers as well. Merritt's Mill Pond (where I do a majority of training dives with students - 3 popular cave systems, 8 total cave systems) is an average of 3 meters/10 feet deep and has lots for the snorkeler to see.

Which agency? :)

... but why not just take a cavern class? It's a 2 day class, will cost you about the same as 2 days of guided dives and the skills you will learn can be applied to all of your diving...

Best advice I've heard all year + you will have the first course out of the way when you decide you want to take the next step. Good luck and hope to see you!

Dive-aholic's got it right -- although I have to admit, you don't see as much of the caverns when you're in class!

I haven't been in a lot of caverns in Florida, but I will say that, in general, they are much smaller than the ones in Mexico. I think I'd be annoyed to pay somebody $150 or so (the going rate for private guides in MX -- I don't know what folks in FL charge) just to paddle around the Ginnie Ballroom, or even to see the JB cavern (especially if the flow is up).

Which agency? :)

Depends on the instructor. I can issue cavern certs from a few different agencies.

Depends on the instructor. I can issue cavern certs from a few different agencies.

But which one do you think is better? and Why?

Cave certification is a rigorous, long, and expensive proposition - many open water divers have died going into caves - its just a really bad idea.
It's not that expensive and it's quite FUN! I recommend cavern training to everyone as it will give you skills that are germane to all of your diving. Just be careful, or you'll be hooked!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom