Cave/cavern diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its not really about the agencies. It the instructor. Find one that you like and go with her/him.

Agreed, but that wasn't my question. I would like to know for which agency does an instructor prefer to teach for, and why?

I know there never seems to be one easy answer for anything but JMTCW go to Ginnie Springs and enjoy a safe cavern dive there.

If you decide that you like the idea of diving in a overhead enviroment then you can always find an expert instructor at the onsite dive shop.
Do not venture into the cave system on your own.

There is also overnight camping available if you have a tent and want to save some change.

Click here

Agreed, but that wasn't my question. I would like to know for which agency does an instructor prefer to teach for, and why?

You might want to start a new thread with your question, or do a little searching in the archives to see how it's been answered before.

The question from the OP is not which instructor and why but more, and I'm paraphrasing, "What would you suggest I do on my trip?"

The theme of most responses so far has been 1.) you can't go into caves without the proper training because it's just not safe, 2.) you have many options for hooking up with an instructor to do your cavern tours, and 3.) you have another option which is to take a cavern course: See the caverns while learning skills that will stay with you thru your diving career.

If you are new to caverns and caves (and cave country) then an instructor can help you in other important ways, too. If you don't know the area then he or she will show you the prettiest caverns to dive, will help you find the best places to stay, the best places to get your air fills, and - most importantly IMO - how to have peace of mind while diving in a new environment.

This type of diving is the most beautiful and exciting I know. Taking the time to do it safely is the right move and will guarantee that you have the fun you're looking for.

The standards are all pretty similar. The courses I teach incorporate the skills required of all the agencies I teach through so it doesn't matter which cert a student wants. The main caveat I have is to search the instructor ranks of an agency that has a good internship program in place like the NSS-CDS and NACD. Both require a minimum of 3 internships per level with 3 different instructors, followed by an IEC staffed by different instructors.

Most of the instructors I know who teach for multiple agencies, teach essentially the same class, but send the paperwork to different people to get the cards. My cavern instructor suggested we get TDI cards because they had the fastest office service, and he was right -- as I remember, we either HAD our cards when we got home from the trip, or they came within a day or two.

I agree w/ the idea that a cavern class is a good idea, but if you want to experience some cavern-like dives without taking the classes, there a few places I would suggest. All of these places are commonly frequented by OW divers and the size/layout/water clarity doesn't necessitate the use of a guide.

1. Ginnie Springs Ballroom - good support on site (rentals, air fills).
2. Devils Den in Williston
3. Paradise Springs in Ocala

As far as snorkling, Ginnie is probably your best bet, I don't believe you can snorkle at the other two.

Another interesting dive that can be done with snorklers and divers combined is Rainbow River. A boat takes you upstream, you get in the water and drift dive back down to the starting point which takes about 2 hrs. The water is very clear and deepest spots are ~ 20'. A couple tiny caverns, lots of fish. It's a very relaxing and fun dive to do in a group.

John

One thing the OP might not realize is how big Florida really is and how long it takes to get from one place to another. Think of how long it would take to get from the one site he has mentioned (the Vandenberg) to the Mill Pond or to Ginnie Springs.

So, can you tell us where you plan to stay and what your travel arrangements will be?

Thanks for all the answers. I know I can't go on a "real" cave dive without training but thats why I also wrote cavern. I am used to penetrating wrecks so I think I will be ok with an overhead environment and I will consider doing the cavern course.

I will look into the different locations you suggested and choose one.

I do realize how big Florida is. I drove from Pensacola to Key West and back up to Jacksonville a few years ago. I have a couple of weeks and a car so I think it will be ok but thanks for mentioning.

Thanks again!

It's not that expensive and it's quite FUN! I recommend cavern training to everyone as it will give you skills that are germane to all of your diving. Just be careful, or you'll be hooked!
I dunno, Pete - I was always under the impression that the most important piece of equipment in getting Cave (vs Cavern) certified was the American Express Gold Card!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom