• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Catastrophic Hurricane Felix

Discussion in 'Storm Watch' started by lamont, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Kim

Kim Here for my friends..... ScubaBoard Supporter

You sound as set up as possible.......good luck.

I know what you mean about steep mountains. Japan is very advanced in protection against this sort of stuff, (and earthquakes), but the mountains are really steep. When there are deaths here it's often through slips. A big typhoon will normally cut quite a few roads at least, but it's possible to get caught in the wrong place at the wrong time as well. There's a big one heading for Tokyo right now actually, although they're on flat ground so it shouldn't be a problem over there.

Let's hope the damage isn't too bad down your way. Keep us posted.

2. lamont

lamont Photographer

acutally the other one probably should have been deleted, or been renamed "I92: the tropical wave that fizzled" or something...

anyway, from wunder blog today:

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=776&tstamp=200709

3. Eris Lucan7*

Eris Lucan7* Barracuda

I had seen about that desaster,and that one comes early in the year,well the folks

ther will have real bad selons in there raions might better they do care today bevor

those readge them.

E.L.7*

4. diverrick

diverrick Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Looking at the projected paths it is clear it will hit land long before it gets to the Bay islands. That always slow them down and it is already gone down to a cat4, so it looks like that info as well as that previously posted, it sounds like it might just fall into a tropical depresion and spare a bunch of folks, a bunch of grief. Wet for sure, but spared from the wicked winds. I am hoping at least that it will happen this way. Good luck to all of those in it's path, where ever it wanders.

5. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

Yeah, it looks like the Mayan populations of the Miskito Islands, Corn Islands, and the Cape Delta are going to take the brunt force. They probly do not have contact with the outside world, but then probly have their own ways of knowing. Hope they have ways to survive the flood and winds.

6. diverrick

diverrick Solo Diver

Funny that there is not so much interest in this storm than the one that went through all the big name locations, not a troll, but simply an observation.

7. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

Yeah, I guess it's just "not as close to home" since very few of us here know anyone or anything about where it is now. Looks like it's probly gonna break up and dump itself...
    [c]
    [​IMG]
    [/c]

8. lamont

lamont Photographer

yeah. good, that it hit a relatively unpopulated area. bad, that the people it did hit probably don't have a lot of resources to rebuild...

9. parrotheaddiver

parrotheaddiver Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    There was intrest in the Bay Islands Forum....unless you mean the media:wink:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=200645

Not many people dive around the Corn islands, or the east coast of Honduras Nicaragua etc....too hard to get too....

10. Hank49

Hank49 Solo Diver

Well, this is a diving board and there aren't many dive destinations in Nicaragua. It's true though...and perhaps selfish or just survival....once we knew it wasn't going to hit here, it's a big relief and you put it behind you and move on.