Catastrophic Hurricane Felix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-Jay:
Jesus I should just move back to the UK....better for my blood pressure (and real estate investments!!)
:lol:​
No one told you that we have tropical storms over here? Hey, at least we have a summer every year. :D

DandyDon:
Invest 92l doesn't seem to be very developed, 25 mph winds, not even referred to as a named Tropical Storm. Why are we calling it Felix? Does it really get that name if it does develop, or could it be used for the next one that does?
'Felix' is next on the list, after Erin (then Gabrielle, Humberto, Ingrid, Jerry, Karen, Lorenzo, yada-yada... ).

Btw, welcome back, Don. Glad you had no issues on the Coz exodus...

Thanks. It's my birthday, and I had wonderful plans to be snorkeling with Whale Sharks off of Holbox for my 60th (omg that sounds so old) - which may have worked out anyway, but I guess retreat was the intelligent thing to do.

Ok, now that Invest 921 has apparently broken up without ever being named Felix, it that name off the list - not available to the next named storm...?

The tropical wave is expected to be hitting us this afternoon and tomorow. Some rain and thundershowers. Nothing special. A storm does not get named until it reaches Tropical Storm status-> winds at 39 mph. Names are retired of the storm is devestating. Thus, Andrew, Camille, Charlie, Jeanne, Frances, Hugo, Ivan, Wilma, Katrina....etc are all retired.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/weather/hurricane/sfl-flawave0821nbaug21,0,6910333.story

Scuba_Jenny:
The tropical wave is expected to be hitting us this afternoon and tomorow. Some rain and thundershowers. Nothing special. A storm does not get named until it reaches Tropical Storm status-> winds at 39 mph. Names are retired of the storm is devestating. Thus, Andrew, Camille, Charlie, Jeanne, Frances, Hugo, Ivan, Wilma, Katrina....etc are all retired.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/weather/hurricane/sfl-flawave0821nbaug21,0,6910333.story
I knew all that - there was even one TS that never made hurricne that got retired forever, but is Felix retired for the year or available...?

Felix is still available, since this tropical wave is not named.
jenny:
A storm does not get named until it reaches Tropical Storm status-> winds at 39 mph.
Over the course of a hurricane season, there can be upwards of a 100 waves (open circular rotation), of which a few become depressions (has a closed circular rotation), fewer become named storms (winds at 39mph), fewer become hurricanes, and even fewer intense hurricanes (category 3 or higher).

Felix is still available, since this tropical wave is not named.
Gotcha - ok, when The Real Felix comes about, I guess we can name the thread by that. :D

DandyDon:
Gotcha - ok, when The Real Felix comes about, I guess we can name the thread by that. :D

note to self: pay no attention to the SHIPS intensity model for tropical waves in the future...

lamont:
note to self: pay no attention to the SHIPS intensity model for tropical waves in the future...
Oh no, it's fine. Maybe don't name them so early - they may not earn it. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom