Catalina (1/3) Dive-In & Bonfire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill:
Let's hope the bad weather is over. Yesterday (Christmas) was wet and very wild. Not a chance I was going down to the Dive Park with all that wind and rain (although one who did said conditions were pretty good!). Wind blew my telescope over and a heavy wooden rocking chair, pishing it all the way across a sheltered deck,. My underwear (hung out to dry) was probably blown all over town because it isn't there now. A plane crashed into Mt. Orizaba and there were two fires in town last night. On top of that, the electricity went out for an hour.

Dibe conditions today looked fair, but I'm not going in til tomorrow. I think I got spoiled by several weeks diving in the Sea of Cortez. However I've got my new Christmas presents to try out (a ton of dive gear at wholesale due to a gracious manufacturer!).

Hope the new year is better. See you all next weekend.

Dr. Bill

Bill,

It was quite a windy storm, wasn't it- most unusual for Christmas in these parts! I certainly hope you recover your wayward underwear :biggrin:! I know what you are saying about being spoiled by the Sea of Cortez... I am still putting together my trip report from Cabo, with some photos, hopefully!

I hope you have nice diving tomorrow -- I was tempted to join y'all next weekend, but was invited to ring in the new year with friends in Dallas so I will have to wait until the next SoCal gathering!

Have fun with your new gear!

Arnaud and I dove the Valiant yesterday (12/27) - apart from the sea being a bit rocy, it was great. We descend a line the Second Stage put out for us, and we weren't more that 20 - 25 feed down the line before we could clearly see the Valiant. Viz was quite good.

Water yeaterday for our three dives was about 57 at depth, about 60 on top. It was sunny, a little breezy and in all other ways, a gorgeous day.

Dive two was at Torqua Springs - more like Torqua River. Current was just rippin. About half the divers on a boat next to us came up a couple of hundred feet away from their boat... In close to shore was nice. Saw a fat Octo in a crack.. he didn't like me much.

Dive three was at the Quarry. More fish than I've seen there since I don't know when. Saw 3 Morays (big ones) and one of the Butterfly fish that reside over there. I've grown to like that spot a lot.

That's the news. That's the weather. Back to you in the Studio...

K

Why I could almost see you and Arnaud from the dive park, Ken. Water temp in same range, vis fairly good considering the recent storm and winds. And I didn't even feel the cold after four dives (it was worse topside with the wind than underwater). I guess I wasn't entirely spoiled after diving in Baja... or maybe it was that new wetsuit and hooded vest Santa gave me (I just want to know why he sends the bills to me???).

Dr. Bill

Info on the Valiant wreck outside of the dive park.

K

Thanks again for letting me join up with you guys.. Can't begin to tell you how psyched I am. I have reservations at an exclusive motel 6 (nothing but the best for me) on Friday and Saturday night in Long beach. Also have reservations on the catalina express to leave long beach at 6:30. Can't wait to join you guys. Got my new bp/ wing set-up for christmas- tried it out in the pool today. I think I need to adjust it some though- the tank valve hits me in the head when I look forward. ALSO, my friend is going to let me bring his 120 cuft tank!!!

Talk to you later,
Tony

This should be a great day. I hope the weather will hold up. What time and where are we all meeting? Flagpole? 9am? I elect Ken do give us a tour of the Valliant. Whos bringing the BBQ?

Kyle

whalerkyle:
This should be a great day. I hope the weather will hold up. What time and where are we all meeting? Flagpole? 9am? I elect Ken do give us a tour of the Valliant. Whos bringing the BBQ?

Kyle

There'll be no diving the Big V from the park, but DrB knows the park reasonably well...

I was at the point today with Wifie and Boarder Warren. Ran into DrB in town, did a couple of dives in the park to viz that was no where near like Saturday's was.

Small craft warning came up this afternoon, looks like a gully washer is gonna be blowing in tonight and tomorrow, then a couple of days of clear, then more rain this weeknend.... I hope not.

Warren came in from Toronto to visit some family. I'll tell you this, he has more family in So Cal. My man W is welcome at our place anytime. What a great guy. He brought his NEW Oly 5050 (my rig to come) and got some pix. He'll share them with us soon, I'm sure. For a guy who dives in 37 degree water up yonder, our 57 degree fish and kelp filled divepark was like a tropical paradise, I'm sure. Rock on Warren!

See you all Sat! Me and wifie will be set up at the sign in front of the park. I'm bringing my cam rig so we can get a group pic for the Club website.

K

Yep, saw Ken, his wife and Warren... or rather Ken saw me since my nose was buried in today's mail- bills I have to pay (like all of Santa's SCUBA gifts to me).

Valiant is always a possibility if there are few boats in Descanso that weekend. Of course it would require a permit (free) from the Harbormaster that can be obtained that day.

Dr. Bill

I would love to join your group on the 3rd. So far I've only beach dived at veterans. I'd really like to see some new sights. I don't have a dive buddy. Is it cool if I tag along with one of you.

David

Back
Top Bottom