Catalina (1/3) Dive-In & Bonfire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mainlightdave:
I would love to join your group on the 3rd. So far I've only beach dived at veterans. I'd really like to see some new sights. I don't have a dive buddy. Is it cool if I tag along with one of you.

David

C'mon along. There will be enough of us to make sure you're buddied up a member of our So Cal family. Just be there... we got your back. You'll love it.

DrB: How'd the weather turn out last night with the SCA and everything? Dry and no wind here. PS: for some reason they charged us $10... was that for the mooring and not the diving over the Valiant?

K

I'm about to call and make reservations...so, it's 8:30 from LB Catalina Landing? I will be watching the weather...but if all is well, I will be the middle aged woman (yes, Ken) with the cute little steel tank and the nasty pink snorkle.

So, what is the total number of folks making the trek on Saturday??

Tygh:
So, what is the total number of folks making the trek on Saturday??

Probably a dozen... maybe more.

Hey Kelp: I'll be the middleaged guy with the ridiculously huge tank on a BPw - byt the Avalon sign. I'm planning on going over on the 8:30 - but I may bump up to the 6:15... I dunno.

K

I'm on the 8:30, wearing black (is there any other option?) and the hat shown in my profile's pic. Oh, one more thing: there's not a chance in hell that I'd be on the 6:15 :D

I was thinking, would anyone be interested if I brought over a little propane stove for hotdogs? I couldnt bring drinks, but the dogs would be fine. Maybe a buck a dog?

Kyle

Mo2vation and wifie
Dr. Bill
Arnaud
Kelphelper and hubbie
Robertphillips5 and his buddy Glen
TonyC
Whalerkyle and two of his goofy buddies
kelpmermaid
mainlightdave
wrinkles (me)

Maybe:
tygh ?
socaldiver
czzzar
rteegarden

I think thats what we have so far.

Ana

Mo2vation:
There'll be no diving the Big V from the park, but DrB knows the park reasonably well...

I was at the point today with Wifie and Boarder Warren. Ran into DrB in town, did a couple of dives in the park to viz that was no where near like Saturday's was.

Small craft warning came up this afternoon, looks like a gully washer is gonna be blowing in tonight and tomorrow, then a couple of days of clear, then more rain this weeknend.... I hope not.

Warren came in from Toronto to visit some family. I'll tell you this, he has more family in So Cal. My man W is welcome at our place anytime. What a great guy. He brought his NEW Oly 5050 (my rig to come) and got some pix. He'll share them with us soon, I'm sure. For a guy who dives in 37 degree water up yonder, our 57 degree fish and kelp filled divepark was like a tropical paradise, I'm sure. Rock on Warren!

See you all Sat! Me and wifie will be set up at the sign in front of the park. I'm bringing my cam rig so we can get a group pic for the Club website.

K

Wow, I feel like a regular honorary SoCal-ifornian now!

Yes in fact, it was absolutely tremendous, and I will be back fer sure! Couldn't have asked for a better day and better timing as the storm warning came just as we were about to do our last dive of the day. When we were done, we high-tailed it back to the docks and caught the next ride back to San Pedro.

And the diving was just amazing - at home, I'm so used to diving in poor viz, I think of it as diving in soup. But the waters were clearer than I could have imagined. Better than 40 feet. Some of the wrecks I did at home just last week I was lucky if I had 5 feet. We also ran into the "Dr. Bill" wreck along the way. Mo2vation and wifie were excellent dive buddies and were kind enough to take me on a guided tour. You guys weren't kidding when you said you knew the place like the backs of your hands. Awesome!

Diving in Ontario (Canada, that is, not the one around here) this time of year can be pretty chilly. And going back to 37 degree waters is a little daunting. I would have loved to have joined you guys this weekend, but I'm headed back on New Year's day. But I've got a week in Cozumel starting this coming Sunday, so I won't feel too bad just yet!

Yes, pics to come. I'll post a few when I get home.

And to use the phrase your governator so aptly coined,

"I'll be back!"

W

Tygh and RTeegarden will be there on Saturday.

This is gonna be great.

I'm going over Friday morning to get a dive or two in on Friday, and mix in some R & R on my last free weekend for the next month or two. I'll meet everyone on Sat AM.

My schedule for these things usually goes something like this:

* AM dive (or 2 - depending on the time)

* Lunch in town

* PM dive or two (maybe a night dive, as its still getting dark early)

On Friday, I'm gonna see what I can do about getting a pit for a fire, and all the stuff involved... wood, munchables, etc. If anyone's staying late, it'd be fun. It its too cold (So Cal cold) we'll just go into town and watch Wrinkles Karaoke for us.

K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom