Casa Mexicana trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been going to Cozumel since 1978 and I barely notice the hawkers any more; to me they are just background noise. I really do have a choice as to whether to let them bother me, and I choose not to. I smile, show them the palm of my hand, and keep walking. No problem.

I have been going to Cozumel since 1978 and I barely notice the hawkers any more; to me they are just background noise. I really do have a choice as to whether to let them bother me, and I choose not to. I smile, show them the palm of my hand, and keep walking. No problem.
I have considered marketing a Tee Shirt. Something along the lines of ...

No Gracias
No soy turista

No Gracias
No soy turista

My wife designs Tshirts and she had the same idea. I've told this story before but it bears retelling...

A few years ago I had several errands to run in town during the course of my stay, and I kept passing this shop with an exceptionally loud hawker. Once, instead of showing him the hand and walking past him, I stopped and feigned taking offense, asking him in a loud and challenging voice "DO I LOOK LIKE A TOURIST TO YOU??" I was wearing a Hawaiian shirt, white shorts, wide brimmed hat, and sandals, with a camera around my neck, and I was sunburned. Beat, and we both busted out laughing. After that, he just smiled and gave me a "buenos dias" every time I passed his shop.

Some of the problems with touts can be avoided by turning left out the CM front door, taking the first left on Calle 7, going east to Ave 5, and turning left again - heading north towards the town square. There are far, far fewer touts on Ave 5 than on Melgar until you get to the pedestrian mall. While there are touts on the pedestrian mall, things aren't as bad as Melgar in my opinion.

Sometimes I exit the door and go straight across Melgar and walk along the seaside. Completely avoids them and less crowded.

True, the real trick to dealing with it is to not even care. You aren't going to make them stop by getting angry or offended or insulting them or otherwise acting rude.

No Gracias
No soy turista
If I may suggest one edit:

No, gracias
Somos (or Soy) local(es)

True, the real trick to dealing with it is to not even care. You aren't going to make them stop by getting angry or offended or insulting them or otherwise acting rude.
But you can provoke a response.

One particularly short tout jumped directly in front of my path to hawk his store. I refused to alter my course and bumped (not pushed) him out of my way. He shouted after me, "Hey! Be nice!"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom