carrying computers on board

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aeris sent me a brand new computer no explaination or questions. Thanks for the suggestion of pelican case will look into one next air trip which happens to be to Cozumel.

Buff...it wasn't a true Moped because it didn't have pedals, but was about that size.
It was 21 years ago...a LONG time! Things are a lot different now and I wouldn't want to do it again.

Now that I'm diving, I have DAN insurance and do have coverage for airlift.

I just got back from my trip to the BVI's and had no trouble taking my regulator and computer in my carry on.
Most places just took a cursory glance at it. Leaving Tortola, they made me take it completely out of the bag. They were a pain about searching EVERYTHING, and the man using the metal detector wand was totally untrained and stupid. My dad always has a hard time explaining about his knee replacements when they set off the metal detector, and this guy didn't know what he meant at all. He kept insisting that my father had something in his cargo pockets. After a while he just gave up and let him go.
They had it set up so high that two little stainless anchors in my shoulder from rotator cuff surgery even set it off, but the guy thought it was my necklace so I got through ok.

Flying out of San Juan, they didn't even open my carry on after x-raying it with the regulator in it. I did not have any extra batteries in my carry on, so I can't tell you anything about that.

Have had no problems flying on European or Asian airlines generally with carry on dive computers or notebook computers. The only real restrictions have been with anything sharp from nail scissors to key pen knifes all consigned to check baggage. Plastic cuttlery is the norm now.

I went to Aruba in October 2001, and brought my computers on-board the plane. They were in my wife's pocketbook, I don't even remember them taking them out. They probably didn't see them, although they did search everything. They made me check my camera and strobe, luckily everything came out unbroken (except my Nikonos V that flooded on the trip ;-0 ). I think they should just turn them on to make sure they work, and let them on the plane, but that's just MHO...

Just got back from Aruba on Friday.

True the diving isn't all that. You won't see anything BIG down there. But hey, I relish any chance to dive. What wrong with just drifting around with a the angel fishes, eels, turtles and rays. Nothing wrong with that.

Anyway, about the airport security. I had no problem. Yes, they did check all my bags....checked and carry on. I had my computer in my backpack and just had to turn it on and was able to carry it on the plane. Didn't have any loose batteries in my carryon, so no problem there. I saw several passengers with laptops on the plane, so they certainly didn't run in to a problem.
Actually, I'm glad they are checking things out. Go ahead check my bags, I have nothing to hide. In Miami they actaully checked my shoes and my backpack for 'Chemical residue'. So it's not just Aruba it's everywhere. Unfortuately, we live in a 'new world' in which we are all suspects.

(NewHampster - why didn't you just put your loose batteries in your checked luggage? Seemed that would have solved your problem).

Aruba is a great place....it can be a much of a party as you want it to be. If gambling, booze cruises and party buses are your thing, they definately have that. I personally enjoyed a few dives and relaxing on the beach/pool with a good book and good friends. Run into town for dinner, or rent a car and see some of the natural beauty of this 'Desert' Island. Friendly Friendly people. I'll definately go back.

(NewHampster - why didn't you just put your loose batteries in your checked luggage? Seemed that would have solved your problem).

I would have had I known about it beforehand.

Originally posted by Newhampster

I would have had I known about it beforehand.

I guess they have changed how they do the security check since you have been there.

Here is the procedure now. You actually clear US Customs while your still in Aruba. (Don't know when they started this procedure).

You check in with your airline at the ticket desk. They take your checked in luggage and tag them. You then procede to US Customs. You pick up your checked luggage and you wheel them (drag them, whatever the case may be) to the security desk. Here is where they asked me to open up my bags and looked inside my carryon. I'm sure if I had anything questionable in my carryon, I could have transferred it to my checked luggage at this point.

From here they take your checked bags and route them through to your final destination.

This seems to save time especially if you have to make a connecting flight.

Originally posted by artsprite
Please let us know what happens on your trip to Europe.

No problems with Lyon or Paris. Boston on the way out was a little hassle with the digital camera, as it was set to come up in view mode, and he was all concerned because he couldn't see anything on the display when he turned it on. I showed him how to use it and all was well.

In my carry-on. Laptop, power for laptop, Digital Camera, USB cable for digital camera, Suunto Stinger, phone cord, spare batteries for the camera, european power adaptors, and a few other odds and ends.

-Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom