carrying computers on board

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

artsprite

Contributor
Reaction score
I talked to an American Airlines reservations clerk today about my trip to the BVI's and she said that Arruba isn't letting any electronics on board the planes leaving the country. You can take them into Arruba in your carry-on but not out of the country. These new security measures are getting ridiculous.

I was just wondering if anyone has come home from there lately, and what was your experience?

I don't know if it just applies to laptop computers, or dive computers as well.

Hmmm...

Sounds like they don't want any more tourists on the island to me...

Go to the Caymans :wink:

Originally posted by artsprite
I talked to an American Airlines reservations clerk today about my trip to the BVI's and she said that Arruba isn't letting any electronics on board the planes leaving the country.

That's just insane. There is _no_ way I'm checking my laptop... _NO WAY_. However you've got me really wondering, and I'm going to have to make a couple of phone calls, since I'm heading on a business trip to Europe in a few weeks.

-Jeff

Jeff, I agree with you about it being INSANE! I can't believe it myself, but I asked her repeatedly about it, and there's no way I misunderstood what she said.

I was thinking of taking my laptop with me, but I don't know now. I'm still wondering about the dive computers.

Please let us know what happens on your trip to Europe.

I also agreee with dc4bs....they obviously don't like tourists, because they have already made one person not want to go there.....ME!!!

Originally posted by dc4bs
Hmmm...

Sounds like they don't want any more tourists on the island to me...

Go to the Caymans :wink:

It doesn't sound to me like it's Aruba making this rule. If that was so, they wouldn't let you take technology onboard on the flight there.....It's our folks (US) here making the restriction....so I'm not sure that changing your destination will help.

I just called American Airline's International desk today. You can take a lap top out of the US in your carry on, but leaving Aruba you have to have it packed in your luggage. You can't have any electronic items in your carry ons leaving Aruba. It's their rule not ours. They also for awhile demanded passports and not just birth certificates to go there.
I also checked Bonaire, Grand Cayman, Curacao, Costa Rica, Belize, Panama, Trinidad, Columbia, Tobago, and US Virgin Islands, it's OK to have lap tops and dive computers in your carry ons. Mexico you can carry a lap top out, but not a hair dryer or a curling iron now.
Hope that helped.

When we flew home in February from Cancun, Mexico they would not allow me to take my dive computer in my carry-on. I had to put it and my regulator all into a checked piece of luggage. I was allowed to bring it into Mexico in the carry on but not out.

Cindy:
What airline did you fly? American says they allow it. If it was American, maybe you had someone with a bad day checking people in.
They allowed it out of Cozumel in March.

Thank you Natasha for checking on other countries. I knew it wasn't "our" rule. If it was ours, you wouldn't be able to carry it on any flight.

Seaangel, Did it damage your dive computer in any way to have it checked in the cargo hold? It is a sensitive piece of equipment, and I didn't think it should go there. I am very interested in what happens to it when it's not in the cabin.

I just got back from Aruba...

At the airport, they're ****s and the diving isn't worth the hassle of going to their stupid desert. And USAir abuses its employees and its customers.

Go somewhere other than Aruba and avoid USAir until they both get their acts together.

Aruba has changed the electronics-in-your-carry-on rule (somewhat). When you leave, they will now allow you to carry electronics in your carry-on but you have to indicate what you're doing on a special form.

So I packed for my return trip accordingly.

When I get to the airport to leave Aruba (after I have checked my bags), they note in their instructions that you are allowed electronics in your carry on -- but you can't have loose batteries.

Well, I have 8 loose AA NiMH batteries, along with my Nikon Coolpix 950 in my backpack.

They tried to confiscate the batteries and I plead with them. These are 40 dollars worth of batteries! Worse, they're insulting my intelligence with their !@#$ !@#$ity.

They ahem and haw and mumble for a few minutes and then tell me they'll let me through but the next inspection, further upstream, is likely to confiscate them...

What do I need this crap for?

Let's be clear. The diving's second or third rate. (I did 8 dives.) The island has no redeeming features other than bars and nightclubs and manmade beaches (2 miles worth). The reef's are small and mediocre. The visibility is generally marginal, and so forth. (Vis on some dives -- worst -- was 15-20 feet; best was 60-80 feet.)

Go to Cayman Brac. Go to Grand Turk. Go somewhere else.

Oh, and fly someone other than US Air. Worst check in lines of any airline I've flown or looked at in the past year. (I fly 100,000 or more miles a year on business.) They don't staff the check in desks properly and they overwork the poor people standing behind the desk. And the poor people on the other side of the desk (the fliers) have to deal with interminable waits! Show up 3 or more hours before your flight if you fly with Agony Airlines...

Vote with your head, your dollars and your feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom