Carrying a tank using a hand truck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just buy another 80 and double them up! They won't fall off then. :D

I know I'm a little late on posting a solution to this question but, another idea on the subject. I use a hand cart to transport my tanks and I zip tie a milk crate to it and then use regular bungie cords. Big enough to carry my tanks and if I need to move something (like a frige) I just cut the ties.

I would like to be able to use my hand truck to transport my 80 cf tank from my car to the gear set-up site at my local lake.

When I have tried to a use a bungee cord or a tight-fitting luggage strap, the tank ended up shifting and falling.

Here is a picture that is similar to my hand truck.
41CCwmQhaDL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I was thinking of using closed-cell foam like they use to make water noodles. Does anyone have any better ideas?

BTW...this is my first DIY project but I always enjoy seeing your ideas in this forum.

I use the same kind of cart. I tie a long bungie at the top and a long bungie at the bottom in the middle of the cart. Then wrap 1/2 around each tank valve at the top. Making each tant held separatly. Then wrap the bottom one around the tanks at the bottom and connect the two ends to each other (on the bottom one). One tank I pretty much do the same thing. As long as the top is very secure you pretty much don't have to worry.

When my kids were just getting certified, I made them haul all of their gear. I took an old dolly made to hold oxygen and acetylene tanks. Padded the areas where the tanks would rub, adjusted the chains to secure the 63's that they were using and put larger wheels/tires on it. They hauled their tanks to and from the entry points over a lot of different terrain, and it worked out great.

As my son got older and stronger and stopped using the dolly, I had to paint it hot pink for my daughter.....She no longer needs it either, and I have set it back up to hold my cutting tanks, but its still hot pink. Makes for a good conversation piece.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom