Carry-on luggage for trip to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Airlines are very fickle, and I don't think sometimes it's the airline requirements when it comes to a bit of extra weight here or there vs. the ego or how good/bad of a day the attendant is having at the airline check-in counter.

When going to Coz on Frontier I had two roller duffel's both near 50lbs lbs. My carry on was a regulation sized roller bag stuffed to the gills, and my personal item was a LowePro Nature Trekker (not small) also heavy and stuffed.

Leaving Denver the attendant made me weight my carry on roller, and it was close to 40lbs! :shakehead: He seemed like he was going to be a jerk, and make me pay to check it, but instead surprised me, and allowed me to stuff about 5lbs into my check-in stuff, which put that over weight.

In Coz coming home, my duffel's weighted 49#, and 51#, and my carry on was still as stuffed as usual, but I did leave some heavy items like 8-D cell batteries behind to try and remedy some of the weight. The Coz check-in attendants did not give a rip about my carry on weight, but they made me remove 1# of weight from my check-in bag! I pointed out that my OTHER bag was 1# under, but they did not have a sense of humor about that.

Another thing to look into is batteries. The airlines (TSA) is now on a battery jag! Apparently with a tampon, some dental floss, and a battery one can make a nuclear device MacGyver Style! I've read folks having issues in Coz carrying on batteries, and checking them as well.. guess it depends on the wind. I carried on my rechargeable batteries, and had no issues last Jan, but things may have changed.

In Canada most airlines let you take one free sports bag checked (some let you take one of each scuba, golf, ect..) and that is not weighed but has to fall within their dimensions, One checked bag of size and weight, one carry on of size and weight (and they do weigh them), and one computer/camera bag that has to fall within their dimensions (usually the same size as the allowable carry on). The computer/camera bag is not weighed but they will measure it if it looks close.

I never check my mask. I had a mask get broken before in my checked scuba bag, and as others pointed out I would rather have my mask which I know seals good.

The Mexican equivalent of an American Laundry Mat. The difference is there are attendants that do everything (wash,Dry,fold) for $5 a load including tip.

Excellent idea. I am going to look into this next week on my days off from diving there.

Another thing to look into is batteries. The airlines (TSA) is now on a battery jag! Apparently with a tampon, some dental floss, and a battery one can make a nuclear device MacGyver Style! I've read folks having issues in Coz carrying on batteries, and checking them as well.. guess it depends on the wind. I carried on my rechargeable batteries, and had no issues last Jan, but things may have changed.

Very funny!!
The reason is that Lithium Ion batteries have been known to spontaneously combust due to cheap replacements for OEM parts, or in the case of Dell original equipment.
A battery fire + airplane = a really bad day!!

Very funny!!
The reason is that Lithium Ion batteries have been known to spontaneously combust due to cheap replacements for OEM parts, or in the case of Dell original equipment.
A battery fire + airplane = a really bad day!!

If that is the reason, they are kinda behind the eight ball! :eyebrow:

For Dell the recall was on laptop batteries sold between April 2004 and July 18, 2006.

Several other manufactures all had recalls, all for batteries made by Sony, but the recall was done in 2006~early 2007. Anyone that can read should have already had the batteries replaced, and the incident levels were low even if the recall was huge.

Lithium batteries, if cut open, may react with water. But Lithium-Ion batteries are a polymer based solution, and are safe in water, and to dispose of. It's much like throwing away plastic which while not great, is better than disposing of something that leeches into the water, and reacts with it.

This also does not explain why Coz was going back and forth on the rechargeable battery carry on policy (in AAA, AA sizes). Those were NiMH or NiCad.

I think I'm going to stick with my MacGyver logic! At least it sounds good! :rofl3:

I have made nine dive trips to Cozumel. I travel very light. One checked roller bag with
dive gear, clothes, and all liquids. My carry on backpack has my cameras, all my paper work,
car keys, money, swim trunks, and a couple of pairs of shorts. You would be surprised how
much unnecessary crap people take on vacation.....

If that is the reason, they are kinda behind the eight ball! :eyebrow:
<--snip-->
I think I'm going to stick with my MacGyver logic! At least it sounds good! :rofl3:
Get out of town, TSA behind the times :D
It's not like their notorious for instituting unrealistic rules based on impossible cases or having different policies every time you fly :wink:
Well at least the instituted it before an incident, or did they?

Thanks all for the lively discussion. Think I'll carry-on the reg./console, mask and camera and check the BC, fins and shortie. Shorts, flip flops some T-shirts and I'm all set! Looking forward to a great time.

Great plan, Mitch. And by the way as far as checked bag weights. Some airlines allow you 52 lbs. for a scuba bag on a trip to and from Cozumel. I know from experience, but I can't read off the list of airlines that allow it.

Just proved that true... on Continental you sir are correct.

Enjoy your trip, and don't drink the water, the Tequila goes down sooo much better....

Darol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom