Carry-on luggage for trip to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mitchsea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just booked a trip to Cozumel for June and I am having a difficult time deciding how to pack my gear. I want to "carrry on" my BC, Regulator and Camera but each airline has different carry-on bag allowances. have not booked a flight yet, however Mexicana (out of Miami) and Spirit are my cheapest options as of this post. Any suggestions?

Thanks

WHat type of gear you have would be helpful. My BC is a BPW so it packs very small and flat. I have heard of others actually wearing them on short hops claiming it was their jacket/vest. Don't know if it was true but hey who's to say. People wear alot of silly stuff on planes.

My BC is rather lightweight ( Genesis Tropic), but still a full size BC. I am able to cram it into a standard wheeled carry-on ( 21x9x14) and can carry my reg and camera in a backpack. I think that is my plan, unless one of you seasoned travelers has a better idea.....

Thanks

Looking over it again just now for my trip to Playa del Carmen next saturday. BCD can fit into my carry on with my mask and other stuff. Reg/console will fit into my camera bag (which does seem to be quite large now that I got it but still fits into the airlines guidelines for camera bag) then I have a checked bag with all my cloths and a scuba bag (free allowance on most airlines) to carry fins wetsuits knife ect... My wife doesn't dive so her carry on will have all the necesities in it. You have to watch though because most airlines limit the weight of your carry on. I had to pull my reg and console out of my carry one because it made my carry on too heavy last time. Odly enough though there is no weight restriction on camera bags/laptop bags, but they have to resemble a camera bag or laptop bag, you might have troubles with a normal back pack as most airlines only allow one carry on and one camera bag/laptop bag. They might see the backpack as a carry on

The carry on bags that you want to take for your trip would have to fall with in the following:

10kg or 22lbs.

The bag cannot be any bigger than 55cmX23cmX40cm or 21.5"X9"X15.5

JUst curious why you would want to have your BC in your carry on? Unlike the regs, camera and gauges, the BC is not that delicate. I save my carry on space for the delicate items and a change of clothes in case my luggage is lost for a day or so.

Most arilines let you take two fifty-pounders and a carry-on. If you can't get your stuff into that you have a problem. I put everything in a 50 pound roller and a 24-incher and carry-on a small bag with my regs, camera, batteries, film, my meds and a couple sandwiches.

The carry on bags that you want to take for your trip would have to fall with in the following:

10kg or 22lbs.

The bag cannot be any bigger than 55cmX23cmX40cm or 21.5"X9"X15.5

Which airline? They all have their own standards and they do not necessarily agree.

JUst curious why you would want to have your BC in your carry on? Unlike the regs, camera and gauges, the BC is not that delicate. I save my carry on space for the delicate items and a change of clothes in case my luggage is lost for a day or so.

I may be a bit paranoid, but I had a terrestrial camera removed from my checked bag somewhere between Miami and Cancun airport about 10 years ago. I would prefer to not have to replace my BCD, reg. or camera. I'll take my chances with my clothes, fins and probably my mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom