Carry-on luggage for trip to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I fly to Coz I take a large camera bag & the allowed size carry on which does vary between airlines, and between them I have my regs, a laptop (smaller screen to fit into a pouch usually, and an older model just in case), my dive computer and the manual because it is air intigrated and the inspectors might not recognize the transmitter, and a lot of high end photo gear, making the value of both bags well over $10,000. To date they have been very carefully inspected several times but never weighed, which is a good thing because both are well over the "suggested" limit. Last trip I actually took the time to read the customs document and it says you are allowed ONE still camera, and ONE video camera; I had 3 still cameras but no one checked at customs where I would have acted dumb. As for my BCD there is no way it would fit into my carry on unless nothing else was put in. I do put a bathing suit & a T shirt in however, but not much else but lenses etc.

It may seem like a good idea to cram all this stuff into carryon and I guess a few people succeed, but I wouldn't try it. Yeah, I wouldn't put a camera in checked, that's asking to get it stolen. A BC I wouldn't worry about. A used BC is rather hard for them to hide and not all that valuable to a thief. On the other hand, I wouldn't check my mask. If my bag did get delayed or lost I want my own mask that fits.

Another thing about cramming, when they decide to search you carry on they are more apt to make a mess or damage something, and getting it repacked properly there can be difficult.

I know of no US carrier that allows a free scuba bag? 2 50 pound checked bags for the most part, whatever is in them.

The rule for getting through security is one carry on and one personal item.

I've made enough flights in the past year to earn two free tickets (including a couple outside of the country) and I've never had anyone even suggest weighing a carry on bag.

Exactly my point, I have never seen one weighed either, mine or anybody elses. Also even if the security people don't repack it as I had it I have lots of time to re do it before the flight & have had to. On my last trip my carry on and camera bag were both filled with some very expensive lenses because photography was a big reason why I went, but I still was able to dive enough that week to give Christi $700 without needing to rent any gear.

Like TC, I pack my BC with my checked luggage. Like NancyLynn mentioned above, since they typically allow one carry on and one personal item, I pack:
1) Carry-on = Pelican case w/camera and accessories;
2) Personal Item = Large Tote bag containing: soft-sided reg bag, mask, and purse items;

(Often I will pack all my purse items in a gallon-size zip lock for travel--stuffed inside the tote bag; Then just pack my empty purse in my checked baggage, to use at my destination).

I have never had an issue with anyone wanting to 'weigh' my carry ons.

Have fun!!

I can get BCD, mask, fins, booties, 3mil shorty, mesh bag, sandals, 2 pairs of swim trunks in a normal wheel carry on. Backpack has reg, toiletries, 2 pairs of shorts, 2 pair of undies, and camera. I buy cheap t-shirts in Coz. Laundry gets dropped off after 2-3 days for $5.

My camera, strobe, mask and reg goes in the carry-on along with the minimum for me to be comfortable for two days. If the luggage is really lost then I have the time to replace/rent what I need, if not then it should show up before I really need it. In addition, we always take about $100-200US worth of pesos with us. Its enough to get from the airport to the hotel with a stop for supplies along the way.

We don't pack too many clothes when we go to Mexico. A long time ago we learned of the Lavanderia! Halfway through the trip we drop off a load and two days before we leave one last load. It is so much nicer to come home with clean clothes instead of having to do a couple loads of laundry when we get home. The rates are reasonable at $5 or $6 a load. Before we started diving, we never checked any bags and could go for weeks thanks to the local wash and fold services. Those were simpler times.

BTW, for those who connect through the San Juan airport, it is known as the eater of cameras. Someone did go through our bags there, just didn't find anything worth stealing.

The Mexican equivalent of an American Laundry Mat. The difference is there are attendants that do everything (wash,Dry,fold) for $5 a load including tip. I just drop off after a morning of diving on my way to one of the great little Cafés for lunch. Have a great lunch, visit other dive shops where I know the operators and say hi. (always stay in touch with them, never know when my regular guy may be booked up --- so many great operators there) then pick up clean clothes on the way back to Hotel. This is not inconvenient at all. there are many of these laundry places all over Cozumel.

Why haul 7 days of clothing around when you can take half or less and for $5 get it cleaned. Sure beats the hassle of:

Having to wait in line at airport to check luggage. Use kiosks
Wait for luggage at destination. If it arrives at all, or have things missing.
Have to claim it, go to US customs then recheck for your connecting flight home.
Again wait for it at home airport. Only to find out it missed the connection and will be delivered to you if they find it!

The only place I have had a carry on weighed is sometimes when going on a small plane. For example, leaving Little Cayman (they don't seem to care as much going there for some reason.) I put lots in my carryons too, but usually it's a few clothes, bathing suits, and other things I'd like rather than my BC (doubt it would fit anyway.) Both regs are in one carryon because my husbands is his camera gear.

Back
Top Bottom