Carnival week, pros and cons.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We stayed at ElCantil one year on the ground floor....it was pretty loud parade nights. On the other hand, we put out table outside the building, set up a bar and had dinner delivered. It was a great way to watch the parade!

Just to give you a flavor of Carnival:

There are always troupes of cool dancing peep, like these guys I labeled, those Cuban looking guys...
03052011 parade (9).jpg

Look at this cutie! How can you resist coming to Carnival when she is waiving at you.....

03052011 parade (13).jpg

And the Sol girls.... mmmmm..... This was the Firetruck Sol girls, my favorite Sol float.

03052011 parade (143).jpg

And so safe. Here was see the Policia removing a desperado from the street....

Susan1.jpg

That's not a very good pic of the Sol girls....In my opinion if you have the chance to go to Carnival don't miss it!
Cozumel feb 2010 075.jpgCozumel feb 2010 076.jpg

now I have to check the calendar to see if i can make it, just depends on work schedule.:cheers:

That helps. I was thinking like Blue Angel south, not Allegro south. SCC seems like a nice choice, but might have a couple non-divers and from what I read they dont offer much for the non-diver crowd.

DH and I enjoyed our 1 time Carnival trip to Carnival. We attended the last night Parade, with balcony tickets at Chi's to see the parade and consider it a highlight of our visits over the past 12 years.

Pros: Fun ! Fun! Fun ! Mardi Gras party however NOT a New Orleans brew ha ha. Not saying a NOLA Mardi Gras is not fun, but Carnival is more of a family event, very much like the NOLA non Bourbon Street celebrations and parades, but also have a tiny splash of Brew Ha Ha !! :)

The folks of Cozumel know how to party !!

Since the area is small, the celebration is easy to navigate. Easy to see and enjoy it all !

Cons: Carnival is what it is . Everything is about Carnival while it is going on. If crowds are not your thing you may not enjoy your stay. However, the crowd is not overwhelming. It seems that the activities are well managed and everyone pretty well goes with the flow.

Staying much further South of Blue Angel Resort may be a tad inconvenient if you want to attend parades. Michael and I were staying at the Blue Angel Resort , which was actually Caribe Blu at that time. We had gone to town foe the parade after diving and resting up a bit. But, as easy as it was to get a taxi going, it was impossible to find a taxi to get back to the hotel later on. Fuhgetabotit ! :). Fortunately , it is not too far, (few miles at most), and the evening stroll was very pleasant. We joined in the fun as the people continued to party and make their way home.

Do not expect anything to happen quickly or on time the morning after. The best bet is to put your patience hat on and go with the flow. For instance, Michael and I were scheduled for an 8:00 departure dive time at the hotel pier. We were punctual as always, however, our dive boat was not...something that really never happens more than perhaps a couple of minuets once in awhile. But, the morning after the last night parade is not the time for punctuality. Remember, I did say the the people of Cozumel do know how to throw a party ! Consequently , they need a bit if recovery time as well. This includes the tank delivery people. So, there we sat for our 8:00 AM pick up until 9:30 AM when the boat finally arrived. Now, I know our crew was ready to go , but the tank delivery people required a little bit of extra time to get their day started. But also remember I said No Worries ... We made ourselves comfortable, sat on the pier, got a cold bottle of water, watched the Pelicans, sat on the pier a bit more, talked, watched the pelicans again and simply went with the flow of things. The only thing that was irritating was the guy who did not get the memo. He just felt that the delay was the worse thing in life and the fact that he was unhappy was everyone's fault. We invited him to join our little "time out", but alas, he wanted no part of it. Oh we'll, it was his loss.

And for the last CON: it had to end....if you get the chance, even just once Do go to Carnival. A good time will be had by all !!!!!

March 5 is Ash Wednesday so Fat Tuesday the big parade should be march 4. The other two parades over the weekend before like march 1 and 2. It isn't official until announced, that is the standard schedule.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom