Carnival week, pros and cons.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carlos Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ultra earlier, but looking into seeing if I can swing a trip during Carnival. Any place that would be good to avoid during that week? Too much noise, too crowded to get around? Might stay south of town so I can get up early for my diving.

Pros and cons of Carnival week anyone?

If you're going for Carnival, not sure why you'd want to avoid Carnival. I did it once, stayed right in town at Bahia, and dove in the mornings. But the dive op I was using at the time had a late (9 a.m.?) departure so it wasn't too hellish. Also I was younger then.

The parade was excellent. I thought it was great how they turned around at the end and re-paraded in the opposite direction in case you missed anything the first go-around. Nifty food carts in the intermission including one that made a cheese/egg crepe with a waffle-cone texture, increible! And beer, very large cups of beer. I remember at least some of that :)

Ultra earlier, but looking into seeing if I can swing a trip during Carnival. Any place that would be good to avoid during that week? Too much noise, too crowded to get around? Might stay south of town so I can get up early for my diving.

Pros and cons of Carnival week anyone?

Its loud on Melgar, sure. As for crowded to get around, when the parade is going, the main drag is closed. Sometimes during the day a sudden performance will erupt on a street closing it, but it is easy to get around it, more or less. If you just check where I am going and avoid those street because the always set up in front of me.

You don't have to stay south. I particularly would not during carnival as so much is going on in town. If you want quiet before the parade is over, get back off Melgar. Our place is not loud. We are 1 block off Melgar at the north end of the parade.

Carnival is cool though. Its is a more respectable Mardi Gras. Lots of kids doing dances and such, not lascivious, but they do have the SOL Girls. Hubba Hubba. I am not really a parade guy, but I LOVE Carnival.

Well, not that I want to avoid it, I would go for it. Im just saying I dont think I want 24 hours of it for 7 days.

Well, not that I want to avoid it, I would go for it. Im just saying I dont think I want 24 hours of it for 7 days.

No, its is a tourist town. Alot of the peeps in the parade have to go to work the next day. It is NOT like a 24 hour party at all.

Agree with cvchief, it petered out quickly after the parade was over. Nowhere close to the drunken lascivious scene of Bourbon St. and I've never even braved that during Mardi Gras. More of a family affair, lots of kids around. I think I might have been the only drunk there :)

We have gone the past 4 years and have a great time. There are 3 parade nights with the Tuesday night parade being the largest. It's not a 24/7 party but the party goes on well after the parade ends. There is a stage with entertainment that runs very late next to the municipal buildings and an area with rides and food and drink booths next to Chedraui that runs late. Amazingly, the streets are cleaned by the morning and dive boats get out on time.

That helps. I was thinking like Blue Angel south, not Allegro south. SCC seems like a nice choice, but might have a couple non-divers and from what I read they dont offer much for the non-diver crowd.

That helps. I was thinking like Blue Angel south, not Allegro south. SCC seems like a nice choice, but might have a couple non-divers and from what I read they dont offer much for the non-diver crowd.

If you got a few peeps coming, you might want to try for a condo? I'd rent you ours but we will be there making muy partee.

Back
Top Bottom