Carnival Cruise ship collision in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It appears that you still don't understand that command is irrelevant to who is steering...Which is never the pilot...Responsibility is also not relevant.
nice childish response.
now what does anything you say have to do with it. Are you so uninformed the you think i believe that the captain him self turns the rudder sends the messages starts the engines turns on the windshield wipers, cooks the food etc ??? If you are not then stop suggesting that. you can argue who has their hand on the wheel or who is giving the orders depending on perspective they are the same thing or totally different, the helmsman is an extention of the officer giving commands The final accountability also rests with the commanding officer and not the subject commanding officers. formal commanding officers often extends to another qualified but subordinate commanding officer to do the assigned proceedures for him. From a carnival ship commanding officer . there is at all times a fully qualified ships captain driving the ship. In the case of the ship of the ships captain I quoted ,,,, there were 4 additional full qualified ships captains on staff. One on the bridge pilot house ,, what ever you want to call the room they operate from, at all times underway. they report to the official overall ships captain. these ships are not tug boats where the captain actually does things so any comments regarding the captain turning the steering wheel is moot..

nice childish response.

Ditto! :rofl3:

now what does anything you say have to do with it. Are you so uninformed the you think i believe that the captain him self turns the rudder sends the messages starts the engines turns on the windshield wipers, cooks the food etc ???

What the captain does or doesn't do, is irrelevant to what a pilot does. None of that matters.

If you are not then stop suggesting that. you can argue who has their hand on the wheel or who is giving the orders depending on perspective they are the same thing or totally different, the helmsman is an extention of the officer giving commands

Thank you Captain Obvious. :rofl3: And again, none of that matters.

The final accountability also rests with the commanding officer and not the subject commanding officers. formal commanding officers often extends to another qualified but subordinate commanding officer to do the assigned proceedures for him.

Final accountability doesn't matter to what the pilot does and doesn't do.

From a carnival ship commanding officer . there is at all times a fully qualified ships captain driving the ship. In the case of the ship of the ships captain I quoted ,,,, there were 4 additional full qualified ships captains on staff.

Again, doesn't matter.

One on the bridge pilot house ,, what ever you want to call the room they operate from, at all times underway. they report to the official overall ships captain.

Captain Obvious to the rescue again! Yet, none of that matters either. :rofl3:

these ships are not tug boats where the captain actually does things so any comments regarding the captain turning the steering wheel is moot..

Nope again! The OP comment regarding a pilot were referencing who's hands are actually on the wheel. Responsibility, command, etc, etc is what is moot. That fact that you cannot understand that, is really quite nonsensical and downright ridiculous.:rofl3:

Glory was the ship moving. Legend was docked. From Fox News:

The initial incident, which Carnival is referring to as an allision as opposed to a collision (seeing as one of the ships was not actually moving at the time), took place on Friday morning at approximately 8:50 a.m

very possible I got told the legend was the hit in the stern ship. I saw the article regarding the use of the word allision. Im not sure what exactly that means as far as the detains go. for instance When is a ship moored? when first line is fixed or when the last line is fixed? It is under way whent helast line is removed. It may be used when any line is fixed. IT also serves as a clear term to identify a 2 underway ships situation form another . Allision may also cover a parted line or an anchor no longer set and allowing the striking of another ship. by ships drift from being unintentially unrestrained. It will be interesting the final reports contents and if that will change procedures in the port or all ports. I am thinking that as often as these ships tie up and leave some complacency got into the event. From somewhat vague memory and lack of detail from being is so many ports the coz piers there are what 3 piers?? one at the margatettaville one at the duty free shop on the pier and the the other in the middle. I am imagining the ship of the seas and the stern hit ship was not at the pier that goes to the duty free shop and that the bow hit ship was supposed to be at the duty free pier. that is quite a distance to permit a minor problem to cause the incident. It is almost like they were turning the bow hit ship around to moor stern in for some reason. I have been onboard carnival when they do that to facilitate emergency boat deployment and recovery operations. they did one side of the ship in one port and the other side in another port. I normally see then do those ops while at anchor with minimal currents so that they can clear their periodic maint log in one day. No matter what I wish there were more footage from more angles to give a better perspective. I think more will show up as the event took too long and people being people will video anything.

Glory was the ship moving. Legend was docked. From Fox News:

The initial incident, which Carnival is referring to as an allision as opposed to a collision (seeing as one of the ships was not actually moving at the time), took place on Friday morning at approximately 8:50 a.m

here is a link
see if this is what you are saying this shows the legend bow hitting the stern of the of the other ship glory i may be misunderstanding you.

Carnival Cruise Line gives possible cause of accident in Mexico, apologizes to guests

here are some more views of the ships this video shows the glory hitting the legend contrary to the other video i left. the perspective is getting confusing

WATCH: Carnival cruise ships collide while in Cozumel port

Your links show Glory hitting legend. The second link has images taken after the collision where it looks that Glory is moving from left to right and hitting a ship, but this is just perspective and is after the collision between Glory and legend (note the damage on Glory's stern)

here are some more views of the ships this video shows the glory hitting the legend contrary to the other video i left. the perspective is getting confusing

WATCH: Carnival cruise ships collide while in Cozumel port

The one thing I noticed in this video was the wash coming out of the port side of the Glory. To me, the aft thruster was forcing the Glory into the Legend, not any rogue wind or current.

The one thing I noticed in this video was the wash coming out of the port side of the Glory. To me, the aft thruster was forcing the Glory into the Legend, not any rogue wind or current.

That is what I saw. The only thing that would make this legit is if .... lIke i have done before,,,, was that the thruster using ship had the bow line tied off and the ship was swinging their stern to the pier to cast over the aft line. Many times i have moored on carnival where the stern extended past the end of the pier. The oasis of the seas ship would have its stern at or slightly past the end of pier and the carnival ship on the opposite of the pier would stick out quite a ways past the end of pier. That condition would explain the illusion of not seeing any pier in the video taken from where you could see one ship swipe the other.

the wlox link seems to show that the ship at the pier was tied up fwd and aft but was not the glory or legend and that the glory was next to and almost hitting the oasis of the seas kinda showing the carnival ship????? cross pier of the oasis was shielded by oasis from the other carnival ship.

glory being stbd side to port side oasis

Next the second video on the wlox link shows a 4th ship in the mess that seems to be the confusion. the cross pier ship (the 4th ship) from the oasis was not involved at all,,, tha action all happened before that view. then the you see the glory moving off with its stern hit. saying the glory hit the legend but the wording says teh legend hit the glory.
by that video the glory was only ship underway ,, apparently with out dispute per these videos.

next the corolation of the reporting and the videos leave the impression that the pointy ship legend hit the stern ship glory. it sounds like he stern ship glory, crosssed and hit the bow ship legend while passing

finally after lots of watching I see 4 ships oasis and some other ship cross pier of it. the legend tied up port side to the pier fwd and aft bow seaward. the glory entering port clippiing the bow of legend while passing with thrusters operating and pushing the glorys stern into the legend. then doing maybe a u turn between the legend and oasis almost hitting the oasis of the seas

it also looks like on one segment of the video there is a pier to the port side of the glory with the oasis to the stbd side heading out bound in direction prior to hearing reports that they may get hit also. as i see it from these videos ther i are 2 piers involved from shore left to right legend empty side of pier where the glory was suppossed to tie up. then the right hand pier where oasis and another ship are moored.

would love to have an arial view of all this.

glory is in the deep darks as I am seeing it now no one else but glory was in motion. like the first videos appeared to show.

Back
Top Bottom