Carnival Cruise ship collision in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funny that was NOT wind or current related - it was Captain error - someone's a** is being covered with that article
I agree. I have never seen ship manuvering like in the video ever before while admitting there was wind involved. I hvae never seen 2 ships dock at the same time perhaps 5-10 minutes spacings in docking windows but never at the same time on neighboring piers with other than optimal conditions. Preventions have to be made in the event of an unexpected ships failure that would hazzzard the port area. Many ports have narrow channels to enter and exit port. Often more than one ship is not allowed inthe channel because if the lead ship has a failure and the following ship has to slow they can no longer counter the effects of cross currents and will run aground if not making way.

I agree. I have never seen ship manuvering like in the video ever before while admitting there was wind involved. I hvae never seen 2 ships dock at the same time perhaps 5-10 minutes spacings in docking windows but never at the same time on neighboring piers with other than optimal conditions. Preventions have to be made in the event of an unexpected ships failure that would hazzzard the port area. Many ports have narrow channels to enter and exit port. Often more than one ship is not allowed inthe channel because if the lead ship has a failure and the following ship has to slow they can no longer counter the effects of cross currents and will run aground if not making way.

Only one was maneuvering - one was docked, tied up

It tore stuff of it didnt move the ship. lines will have a lot of stretch in them before parting.

Up to 40% on nylon rope, it's usually a bit less due to normally having the splice for the eye splice at the end, more for the age of the line, and any damage it may have recieved. Note, don't be near either end should it part.

Bob
Former deck ape, USN.

You prove my point. my comment was in response to one that said the pilot did not dock the ship, I said that neither does the captain by that standard,, if you look at the actual hands on of those actually doing the physical docking such as the helmsman who is one of the the hands on stations. or the thruster controlman. The point being that the thruster guy or helmsman is not blamed for a collision because they are faithfully following orders from those that ARE ADMINISTRATIVLY DOCKING THE SHIP. The captain and no one else is responsible for that.

It doesn't matter who is responsible when referring to who is steering the ship, it's NEVER the pilot. Pilots do not ever steer somebody's else's ship. Who's fault it is, is irrelevant with regards to who is steering the ship. The original post was referencing who was actually steering the ship, it was not the pilot and it never is the pilot. With reference to who is actually steering the ship, it does not matter who is ADMINISTRATIVLY DOCKING THE SHIP or even who is responsible when it crashes. Both are irrelevant.

by that standard the captain does not dock the ship either.

KWS, we both know it takes way more people than a helmsman to dock, or get a ship underway, BTDT. The conn calls the dance, and cap'n is responsible for everyone knowing the steps and executing them properly.

A pilot is aboard for local knowledge and assistance, not to replace the captain. The pilot knows the local waters and conditions, the captain knows his ship and how it maneuvers. The concept is that with both, the harbor and ship will be safer during the passage.

Bob

Only one was maneuvering - one was docked, tied up
the front on the glory may have been but the back was not it was moving unless i am seeing the video wrong. thrusters were on and pushing the stern to the pier I saw a video from the shore showing the glory tieing up ocross pier of the other liner and the stern moving. that matched other one that showed that same thing but from a different angle.

It doesn't matter who is responsible when referring to who is steering the ship, it's NEVER the pilot. Pilots do not ever steer somebody's else's ship. Who's fault it is, is irrelevant with regards to who is steering the ship. The original post was referencing who was actually steering the ship, it was not the pilot and it never is the pilot. With reference to who is actually steering the ship, it does not matter who is ADMINISTRATIVLY DOCKING THE SHIP or even who is responsible when it crashes. Both are irrelevant.

we will have to just dis agree on that. I never said the pilot was steering the ship only providing the days nav input to those that command the manuvering of the ship.
\
It appears that you have no understanding what command of ship means.

KWS, we both know it takes way more people than a helmsman to dock, or get a ship underway, BTDT. The conn calls the dance, and cap'n is responsible for everyone knowing the steps and executing them properly.

A pilot is aboard for local knowledge and assistance, not to replace the captain. The pilot knows the local waters and conditions, the captain knows his ship and how it maneuvers. The concept is that with both, the harbor and ship will be safer during the passage.

Bob
I agree fully that ios why it is the captain that is responsible for his ship.

we will have to just dis agree on that. I never said the pilot was steering the ship only providing the days nav input to those that command the manuvering of the ship.
\
It appears that you have no understanding what command of ship means.

It appears that you still don't understand that command is irrelevant to who is steering...Which is never the pilot...Responsibility is also not relevant.

the front on the glory may have been but the back was not it was moving unless i am seeing the video wrong. thrusters were on and pushing the stern to the pier I saw a video from the shore showing the glory tieing up ocross pier of the other liner and the stern moving. that matched other one that showed that same thing but from a different angle.

Glory was the ship moving. Legend was docked. From Fox News:

The initial incident, which Carnival is referring to as an allision as opposed to a collision (seeing as one of the ships was not actually moving at the time), took place on Friday morning at approximately 8:50 a.m

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom