Carnival Cruise ship collision in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I watched other videos of it ans both carnival ships look like they are using propulsion . the aft hit ship side thrusters. was moving in the direction of the bow of teh other ship. Either way I have never seen two ships in close proximity manuvering at the same time. One waits for the other to obtain a safe distance by at least a ships length or so. This is a ships operation issue and not a wind issue. The issue of there being a wind makes it even more important to manuver one ship at a time. If you loose ships manuvering control such as propulsion or stearage way, 2 ships manuvering only compounds the problem. It appears that it was , from the start, a plan to fail IMO.

I thought the aft ship was tied up and it looks like the captain of the moving ship forgot to account for the bow of the aft ship when making his turn clearance. He just barely cleared the dock itself.

People don't stop flying but we have air traffic control etc keeping the arrivals and departures from hitting each other.

Um, be careful what you wish for? We don't need another Costa Concordia. 32 souls perished in that cluster F*** because the captain was showing off. I don't want to be a victim of the next showoff or goofoff. I don't want my loved ones to be, and actually I don't want you or your loved ones or anyone else to die, either. We especially don't need it in Cozumel, as fragile as the reefs are right now.

Like it or not, cruise ships are here to stay. Carnival (parent of Costa) didn't stop sailing after the Concordia disaster. In fact, six years later their stock had doubled, or about a 12% return, not including dividends. And it was up 7.6 % today even with this news.

No a wish for. We have a near miss with only one minor injury my worry is the government will just dismiss this and continue to allow overcrowding until something major happens. When this should never have happened it's not hard to say no you can't come in here we have too many ships in it's not safe to add another.

I thought the aft ship was tied up and it looks like the captain of the moving ship forgot to account for the bow of the aft ship when making his turn clearance. He just barely cleared the dock itself.

watched teh video from a You tube film that was not darkened on hte edges. yoiu could clearly see the thruster turbulance on its aft port side pushing the stern to the stbd. on the stbd side of the stern hit ship was another carnival turning such that its bow was moving to the port into the stern of the other ship. I did not see thrusters wake on the port side of the bow hit ship. perhaps they failed and the wind then pushed into the other ship.

Pilots don't dock ships, they just instruct the helmsman on what to do.

by that standard the captain does not dock the ship either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom