car keys + shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Strong proponent of having a key copy (without electronic or sensor bar in them) to open and lock your car doors on you while you dive, while keeping your ignition keys hidden in the car somewhere.

On a side note, think twice if the local dive shop near the shore diving site offers to hold your keys while you dive. Had one instance where the shopkeep forgot he was holding onto my keys while on a shore dive - closed the shop early and was not picking up his cell phone (that his neighbors in the strip mall called for me several times) - had to call a friend to pick me up and drop me off the next day to pickup my keys & car....

I had a roommate who forgot his weightbelt and, deeming the water relatively warm, decided to go sans wetsuit. He put his car key in the pocket of his board shorts and we swam out and descended to 80' for the length of our dive. Partway through, he tapped me on the shoulder and showed me his empty pocket. We retraced our dive until our tanks were dry, then I went back out and started freediving for it, but it was a lost cause. Thus started a looooonng day of trying to break into his car, waiting for a tow-truck, then waiting for the Honda dealership to cut him a new key. Lesson learned: secure your keys.

Thanks guys - first shore dive today. I've never really had the key situation to think about until now. My wetsuit doesn't have a key hidey-hole, but am thinking the valet key in a ziplock bag will work just fine - until I can procure a more permanent case solution.

Appreciate the assistance, hitting Lauderdale by the Sea this morning.

Happy Safe Diving folks!

My jeep has a HitchSafe in the receiver hitch to store keys while diving. I picked it up for around $60. I'm not sure i would store much else in there.

604.jpg

Also very handy when snorkeling for holding credit card, some cash, even my cellphone if I felt it necessary.

I've even used it at waterparks for the same reasons.

I used to put them in my swim trunks pocket. However I lost them twice doing that. First time I couldn't find them at all and had to leave the car there. Next day I went back and someone had placed them on the railing leading down to the site. Whew. It was my girlfriend's truck!

Second time I felt something hit my leg but didn't think anything of it. Then when I emerged from the water, I discovered my keys were gone. Refilled my tank the next day and went back to the area I felt the "impact." They were nowhere to be seen until I put my head near the bottom and turned it to look under a small rocky outcropping. There they were! Good thing... it was my company car!

Now I don't worry about it. No one in their right mind would want to drive off in the car I own!

FYI, many insurance companies cover a locksmith coming out to open your car. Check with your agent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom