car keys + shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

second the hitch safe. google it, they are really neat.

This cost about $3 for a wonderful fix -- it also took me a long time to find out I could get a simple metal key to lock/unlock the door!
I encountered a young lady in a mall parking lot who was upset as her key would not open her door. She was pushing the unlock button and nothing was happening. I suggested that it most likely just needed a new battery and showed her how to access the battery. Since she was already at the mall, replacing it was a simple matter but she said she couldn't as her purse was in the car and she would not unlock it as the battery in the key was dead.

I was a little stunned at what this implied and it was confirmed when I took the key, manually unlocked the door and saw the look of wonderment on her face that her key would do that.

Not sure it is relevant but she really was blonde.

As Marci notes we use a hitchsafe in my Jeep. They are $60-$90 retail and have a user settable combination. I have a spare key (electronic) that I just leave in it. The key has been there about 2 years in rain, snow, etc and has never gotten wet.

The safe itself is set inside the hitch and would be difficult to break into or remove and a thief would attract attention long before he or she got in. It is also hidden under a normal rubber hitch cover so it is not evident you even have one to break into. Twice last week people saw me messing around my hitch after a dive and said "oh we know your secret now!" but the truth is they are probably not aware there is a key safe nor do they know the combination so they really don't know anything useful.

I encountered a young lady in a mall parking lot who was upset as her key would not open her door. She was pushing the unlock button and nothing was happening. I suggested that it most likely just needed a new battery and showed her how to access the battery. Since she was already at the mall, replacing it was a simple matter but she said she couldn't as her purse was in the car and she would not unlock it as the battery in the key was dead.

I was a little stunned at what this implied and it was confirmed when I took the key, manually unlocked the door and saw the look of wonderment on her face that her key would do that.

Not sure it is relevant but she really was blonde.

That's funny.

Be careful, though! My friend had an accord with one of those electronic unlocking/locking keys. I'd bumped into that car, used the windows, etc while locked and nothing.. But one day I used the key and unlocked the car and opened it without using the unlock button.. It had an alarm! A crappy one, but it was an alarm, haha. Only goes off if the door is unlatched. It never ever beeped before or anything. He had no idea his car had an alarm, hehe.

I would imagine it might be hard to turn the car alarm off if the batteries to the thing were dead. If that had been the case she'd be home right now typing out a story about you instead of the other way around. :D

My shop sells the hitch lock thingy. I also have a jeep with a soft top, so I was considering it (I never lock the doors). It's an I-4.. Not like that hitch is ever going to be used for anything else, hehe :p

I have a Toyota Camry Hybrid (fantastic car btw) - the key fob if you lose or destroy one all in is about $300 (wonder how I know.....) You can't leave the fob in the car or trunk and use the valet key (which just opens the door; there is no key - you press a button, like many cars today, to start it) to open it up b/c the car will not lock w/ the fob anywhere in the car or trunk.
Read your owners manual :shakehead: There is a button under the dash you push, then you can lock the smart key in the car. Guess how I know? I read the owners manual! Oh the stories I could tell...

FWIW I just had a door key cut at my local HD and tied it to a small bolt snap with cave line. It lives in my drysuit pocket. Most keys are made of brass and it is not an issue with corrosion.

But MY Camry is different.....its a hybrid! :no:

Seriously, thanks - and FWIW, smart a__, I have read the manual - just don't have much cause to lock the key fob in the car (I'm really paranoid about losing the valet key) but you gave me a valuable suggestion- now all I have to do is find the "secret button" -

Kidding aside, I appreciate the tip! :D:D

Sorry I was a little perturbed today by customers not knowing anything about their cars. I have worked in the automotive repair field for 23 years, in one form or another, and it is amazing how often someone goes _____ is wrong with my car. I then walk over and turn the switch back to fix their "problem".

I guess the Camry smart key is not nearly as smart as a my Prius smart key is, as I just push a button :D

Precondition:
Power switch OFF, driver side door closed and unlocked.

a) Unlock the driver door once with the UNLOCK switch of the electrical key.

b ) Open the driver door within 5 seconds.

c) Unlock the driver side door twice with the UNLOCK switch of the electrical key within 5 seconds.

d) Repeat open -> close twice for the driver door within 30 seconds, and open again.

(Driver door: OPEN -> close -> OPEN -> close -> OPEN)

e) Unlock the driver door twice with the UNLOCK switch of the electrical key within 5 seconds.

f) Repeat OPEN -> close once for the driver door within 30 seconds, and open again.
(Driver door: OPEN -> close -> OPEN)

g) Close the driver door within 5 seconds.

When the electrical key cancel is activated, the wireless door lock buzzer sounds TWICE.

To return to the original condition, perform the procedures again. When the original condition is returned, the wireless door lock buzzer sounds ONCE.

What a pain!

604.jpg

Also very handy when snorkeling for holding credit card, some cash, even my cellphone if I felt it necessary.

I've even used it at waterparks for the same reasons.

Awesome gadget. Good for keeping your handrolled tobacco dry while you are surfing also I hear.

my 2001 Dodge Dakota has a ordinary brass key. I loop it around the string in my swim shorts then dive away. It is better when I bring my Yak though. I just put it in my pelican box with my cell phone, marine radio and glock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom