car keys + shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Aruba, I've seen shore divers wrap their electronic key in a paper towel, and bury it in the sand among the mangroves.

In a small Otter box in a pocket. The box is clipped inside the pocket. I don't like having it inside my drysuit in case me or my buddy need it in a hurry.

Important part of that quote is "clipped inside the pocket" Nothing like seeing "key?" written on a slate and then waiting outside on a nice warm day in your wetsuit for 3+ hours waiting for the towtruck to arrive:) And remember folks, should that otterbox get loose somehow anyway, they float! Look up, not down! That being said, if anyone finds a red otterbox somewhere off of Haleiwa Hawaii, let me know :p

Most if not all wetsuit have a little inside pocket near the top.
That's where mine goes.

i've been using a little dry box and te it to the dive flag but this past weekend I realized if I lose the dive flag i'm not getting home without someone bringing me a spare key lol time to think of a new method

I have a valet key that does nothing but open the drivers door and start the engine. I lock the electronic key inside the car (hidden) and wear the valet key on a string around my neck.

I use either an Ikelite Canister or an Otter Box when I shore dive depending on what I'm taking with me. Both fit in my BC pocket with out a problem. I cnn get several keys and some cash in the Ikelite. I usually take the otter box if I need to keep my eye glasses, ID / credit card, cash and keys secure on my person (such as diving in Bonaire). Ikelite rated to 300'. The Otter Box to 100'. I have had both to 90' with no issues. Purchased them both very cheaply from Leisurepro.com

Attachments

• IK3001.JPG
    IK3001.JPG
    5.4 KB · Views: 107
  • OTR2.jpg
    OTR2.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 104
Drive an old Yugo and leave the key in the ignition. No one will steal it.

On top of the right front tire - never a problem - although if I know, probably the car thiefs do too

I have a Toyota Camry Hybrid (fantastic car btw) - the key fob if you lose or destroy one all in is about $300 (wonder how I know.....) You can't leave the fob in the car or trunk and use the valet key (which just opens the door; there is no key - you press a button, like many cars today, to start it) to open it up b/c the car will not lock w/ the fob anywhere in the car or trunk.

Point? you are better off leaving the key on land somewhere - too much chance of losing it or in the case of electronics, getting the thing wet and rendering it unuseable (sp??).

I'm a big believer that Mr. Murphy often accompanies us - invited or not - whenever we dive.

I had mine on a double-ender clipped off to the bungee loop in my pocket once. Many thanks to all the experienced divers that searched for it in the muck on the bottom, and to the friend who loaned me his car to drive home (4 hour round-trip) and pick up the spare key. Right.

Lesson learned: double-enders aren't infallible. And if you're going to use one, don't put it in a pocket you need to open to get at your SMB!

I think my next solution will be permanently cave-lining a small boltsnap on a spare key and bringing that with me. Then leave the real key in the car, so that even if it's lost once I have someone open the car door I can drive it home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom