Car Keys and what to do with them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Neilwood

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I did a search and only a couple of threads from a few years ago came up.

I had a situation where, diving at quite a popular site (with walkers/divers/sightseers/dog walkers), I didn't want to leave my keys with the car (in the wheel arch etc). I left it with an instructors gear, who I was told wasn't going in (doing surface skills) while I dived. Surfaced to find him getting out of the sea with my keys in his gear, battery leaking everywhere and electronic key possibly ruined (it still locks/unlocks the car but no remote - not managed to get a new battery yet to check). Not that worried by the key (stupidity on my part) and I will buy a new one if needed.

What do people do with them while diving? I am using a wetsuit so no options there.

same answer as I always say... I have a "non-chipped" key cut (it only opens doors, won't start vehicle). The electronic ones are in the vehicle somewhere, and the access key is on a lanyard inside my set suit....

same answer as I always say... I have a "non-chipped" key cut (it only opens doors, won't start vehicle). The electronic ones are in the vehicle somewhere, and the access key is on a lanyard inside my set suit....

Will have to enquire whether that is available for my car

I have a 2014 Jeep Wrangler, and I made sure that it operated with a non-electronic key. I tuck it into the key pocket of my wetsuit. When I get out, I rinse it off, dry it, and use it.

Valet key. Came with the Ridgeline. If you didnt get one with your car check if available through your dealer if you cant just have one made. Then put it on a bolt snap and clip to gear, inside a pocket for double insurance if that is an option.

Last edited:
I have one key ring with the nonelectronic valet keys for my cars on it attached to a bolt snap. Goes inside my wetsuit while I dive.

Only issue is when the dive is over you don't have an open trunk to de kit and have to take all the gear off to get the keys. But at least you have them and they work.

I have one key ring with the nonelectronic valet keys - Only issue is when the dive is over you don't have an open trunk to de kit and have to take all the gear off to get the keys. But at least you have them and they work.

exactly why I cut a key so it works to access.....

The factory chipped keys all have air voids in them, (experience showed me this) but after market chipped keys I find locally are molded without an air void, so they go in with me zipped into a pocket. Obviously the chirpers are not going to handle this.

If you get a UK light and take out the batteries, and light head, you get a sturdy waterproof case. We have used them for cell phones, UHF radios, flare guns, etc on the boats.

I’ve got a jeep so you kind of get use to not keeping stuff of value in it to begin with but when I do have something that I am feeling a little protective over I have a lock box under the seat that I toss everything in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom