Car Keys and what to do with them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I finally found the perfect solution for me - a car with start-stop button and keyless access. The key is laminated in plastic and goes into the pocket of the undergarment of my dry suit.

The factory chipped keys all have air voids in them, (experience showed me this) but after market chipped keys I find locally are molded without an air void, so they go in with me zipped into a pocket. Obviously the chirpers are not going to handle this.

If you get a UK light and take out the batteries, and light head, you get a sturdy waterproof case. We have used them for cell phones, UHF radios, flare guns, etc on the boats.

I like the idea - not too expensive either especially if bought of Ebay.

I've used one of these - in fact the same one - since at least 2005. witz case buy at LeisurePro

The $7 one. I think it works because it's o-ring sealed - which I lube in place annually, is very thin and has pretty solid walls. It might be too thin for a keyfob though - I usually remove any attached tags/rings at my destination and put the bare key plus $20/CC in it to dive.

I wouldn't trust my phone to one of their thicker ones since I think the pressure could get to it easier and pop a sidewall.

I'd look for a metal light that twists on/off. I have a Dorcy that I think would be ideal but I haven't tried it yet. It's double o-ringed around the top and the bottom is solid. Fits easily in a BC pocket. The batteries are in a carrier with the chip attached so easy to remove the entire guts of the light except the reflector.

magnetic-key-holder-01.jpg

One of the above inside the bumper, etc, before you leave the house. Works like a charm. Of course you need 2 keys then. Or something like the below locked on some metal of the car somewhere after you arrive. I use the first one and lock my keys in the car.

lockbox-284x300.jpg

I leave my fob in my car, and take the physical key with me. I put it in a small plastic bag, and then bag it again. I either put it in my boardshorts pocket or my BCD pocket.

Just a quick update on this-looks like I dodged a bullet as after changing the battery the keys still work.

Think I have found the answer to it -mares personal dry box

I live in Japan where theft and property crime are very rare. I leave mine under the side fender. If I owned an expensive car I might reconsider. In NZ where theft and property crimes are quite common I'd take my key with me into the water.

same answer as I always say... I have a "non-chipped" key cut (it only opens doors, won't start vehicle). The electronic ones are in the vehicle somewhere, and the access key is on a lanyard inside my set suit....

What he said. I have also had to have a chipped key cut when there was no non-chipped key available. Costs slightly more, but still don't need to program it or worry about the chip - it is only for the door.

Lanyard around my neck under the wetsuit, "real" keys and remote left in the door pocket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom