Car Keys and what to do with them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I leave mine inside the truck and anything else i dont want wet. I have a keypad on my door and can open my truck with that.

That is one of the best ideas Ford had for their vehicles. Their other ideas not so much.

I leave mine inside the truck and anything else i dont want wet. I have a keypad on my door and can open my truck with that.

The dive mobile 2005 GMC Savanna thankfully has dumb old brass key. I have it on a string that goes around my neck and in my wetsuit for wet dives. When dry I lash it to a D ring in a pocket. I did dive occasionally from an O8 Subaru Outback that had a valet key that wasn't bothered. We also had no problems with the smart key (not a remote, just a recognition chip) on a 2000 Windstar. I'd see about solid valet key options for your vehicle.

It's not uncommon for other divers to toss their FOBS in the back of my van. I figure it gives them an incentive to help keep me safe from harm.

Pete

...It's not uncommon for other divers to toss their FOBS in the back of my van. I figure it gives them an incentive to help keep me safe from harm.

Pete

Haha...smart!

not sure..never used one that deep...i only use them on beach dives...that depth for me is a boat dive, then i leave my car key on the boat..

Are these good down to about 100' or so?

Mine imploded at about 85 ft. If it really needs to be kept dry, probably best to leave it above the water. I have never been able to keep my money dry for a whole week in Bonaire.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Toyota dealer cut a non-electric key for my fj for no cost.

I have a Toyota Highlander with and electronic key. That automatically opens doors when touching the door handle and start the car with out a key. Also is in the electronic key is an emergency key. What I do is take the emergency key out, put the electronic key in the back of car. Then lock the car with the emergency key. Put the emergency key in swimsuit pocket under my wetsuit. That seem to work the car stayed locked. BUT TEST THIS WITH YOUR ELECTRONIC KEY.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    48.5 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    54.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom