Can't reach the valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because I have the same issue...I am doing DIRF in three weeks, so spent the weekend practicing-could not get to my valve.

I have ordered a 26" SPG hose to give myself more room-I am diving a single tank.

I am fairly flexible for a 40 YO:rolleyes: but still can't grasp more than my first stage.

I would think my harness is too tight to move the tank up by pushing from the bottom-is that my mistake?

Any thoughts or advice?

Ken

When I dive my little HP80s I can only reach the 1st stage too.

I reach around and grab the 1st stage and then pull it up so that I can reach the valve with my other hand.

This worked the one time when I hopped off of a boat with my valve off.

Oops.

Peter

I had problems due to drysuit restriction of the underarm area. Had it altered to improve range of motion and can now reach my valve if my tank is positioned properly.

is a tech cut Andy's DS3 with st1000 undies-should not be the issue-at least, I'm not AWARE that it's the issue.

Ken

Bob3 once bubbled...
I suggest trying some equipment adjusting before adding gadgets.
Adjust your tanks so they ride a little higher, grab & pull your shoulder strap to move them into reaching distance.
Some stretching exercises as a warmup before diving is always a good idea, too.
:wink:

I loosten my waist belt and push up on my tank(s) from below, when I need to reach my tank valve(s). Works great for single tanks or double tanks.

I also stretch my arms every day twice a day when I put on my seat belt in my car. First stretch the right arm, while reaching for the driver's seat belt, then after fastening the belt, stretch the left arm as well. Great daily exercise for a weekend scuba diver!

IndigoBlue once bubbled...

I loosten my waist belt and push up on my tank(s) from below, when I need to reach my tank valve(s). Works great for single tanks or double tanks.

I also stretch my arms every day twice a day when I put on my seat belt in my car. First stretch the right arm, while reaching for the driver's seat belt, then after fastening the belt, stretch the left arm as well. Great daily exercise for a weekend scuba diver!

Having to loosen the waist strap is not a good idea, and should not have to be done, especially with doubles.
Bad idea.

MD

I am working on stretching more...I would not loosen anything-first because it should not be necessary, secondly because my feeling is that when you are going for your valve, it will likely be a situation that is best handled as simply as possible.

Ken

kwesler once bubbled...

I would think my harness is too tight to move the tank up by pushing from the bottom-is that my mistake?

Any thoughts or advice?

Ken

There are a multitude of tips and tricks that are in the archives of scubaboard. I know because I faced the same problem and found the answer there. If you have an sta, I would try getting rid of it and going sta-less -- this will bring the valve closer (I remember an Uncle Pug post on this). Also try try moving the tank up and down in the bands. These two adjustments solved it for me. I do grab the bottom of my cylinder with my left hand and tilt it over to the right to help sometimes. Another trick is to push your right elbow back with your left hand -- this will get you another few inches. Lastly I did read a post on quest or the techlist by Irvine where he recommended the first thing to do in an emergency is to loosen your waist belt so you don't fight your equipment.

Thanks folks!

Ken

Ps. I'll post a report on DIRF when the time comes...if I get through the valve drill, I will be sure to give you proper credit!:mean:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom