Can't reach the valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSilvia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had some trouble reaching the shutoff valve on my tank the other day, and remembered having seen extension shutoffs on some tech divers' gear at the Metrowest Dive Club's wreck show recently. Does anyone know who manufactures them, or where I can find one?

I suggest trying some equipment adjusting before adding gadgets.
Adjust your tanks so they ride a little higher, grab & pull your shoulder strap to move them into reaching distance.
Some stretching exercises as a warmup before diving is always a good idea, too.
:wink:

Originally posted by MSilvia
I had some trouble reaching the shutoff valve on my tank the other day
It is harder to do with a single than a double as the tank is further back...

But then there really is not the same need to shut down the valve on a single tank... more likely the need to turn it on after jumping overboard with it off!

Keep practicing trying to reach the valve, pay attention to details like turning your air on and don't confuse a convolution for a solution...

Eventually you will get it...

Ixna on the Lobwindersa

MSilvia,

The wise 'ol Uncle gave you some excellent advice.

Initally, I also had difficulty reaching my valves. Shifting the tanks helped, doing stretching excercises with weights helped, and then practice, practice, practice helps.

It has now become a skill that I practice in combination with other drills while working on bouyancy control. Don't give up. Keep working at it and you'll get there.

DSAO,

Larry

If your diving single tanks [and I know you are :)] the only reason I can think that you'd be reaching for the valve would be to either 1) turn it on when you forgot on entry, or 2) to deal with a freeflow. Either way it should be a rare case, and why add another error point on your rig for something that is going to be rare.

You'd probably be better off practicing the ditching of your BC... if you can't reach the valve, whip off your BC, do what you need to do, and flip it back on.

As far as the reaching of the valve, did you just try to reach for it, or did you try to use both hands? Ever since OW training, I found I always preferred fetching a dropped reg by tracing the hose off the first stage, so I'm used to grabbing back with one hand, and pushing the bottom of the tank up higher with my other hand. Next time your in the water try using your other hand to push your tank up as high as you can, and see if that helps your reach.

Do as others have suggested. In addition, with your left hand reach back and by the bottom of the tank lift it up and on an angle so that the valve is tilting toward your right shoulder. With your right hand reach back to the valve.

Thanks everyone. It was a free flow problem at the surface that made me think of it. Your advice seems sound and is much appreciated.

I agree with Devilfish, in that reaching and lifting the bottom of the tank to an angle will help you. Also try reaching it in a horizontal and not a vertical position and you may find it easier to reach. For some reason I can reach my valves easier when I am horizontal.

As usual, Wendy makes a good point.

This thread was in my mind this week when doing skills and drills.

The stretching excerises with the free weights are starting to pay off. It is becoming increasingly easy to twiddle the knobs. Being horizontal and while holding bouyancy is improving. Maybe I'll have it just right when I'm too old to dive.
My buddy was doing his drills with a single AL80 and an H valve. Good drill and greaqt prep for doubles.

DSAO,
larry

Originally posted by MSilvia
Thanks everyone. It was a free flow problem at the surface that made me think of it. Your advice seems sound and is much appreciated.

Covering the mouthpiece hole with your thumb will usually take care of a surface free flow.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom