Can't reach the valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kwesler once bubbled...

I would think my harness is too tight to move the tank up by pushing from the bottom-is that my mistake?

Any thoughts or advice?
What about moving the tank up some? In order for my inflexible arse to reach my single tank valves, I have to dive with the 1st stage where if I tilt my head back further than normal...say looking up from a horizontal position...touching the back of my head

MechDiver once bubbled...

Having to loosen the waist strap is not a good idea, and should not have to be done, especially with doubles.
Bad idea.

MD

Works like a charm. I like to keep my gear strapped on tight. Adjusting it to be nice and tight is one of the first things I do once I am in the water.

Loosening the waist strap is all that is needed to lift up the tanks from below to gain access to the valves, whether singles or doubles. Takes all of about 5 seconds with one hand, either hand.

You may be talking apples and oranges. I have no idea what your dive configuration is. I doubt yours is similar to mine.

IndigoBlue once bubbled...

You may be talking apples and oranges. I have no idea what your dive configuration is. I doubt yours is similar to mine.

My tanks are in back and my valves on top of them. But whatever works for ya.

MD

MechDiver once bubbled...

My tanks are in back and my valves on top of them. But whatever works for ya.

MD

But have you seen the new armadillo side mounts in some of the tech magazines? You can squeeze through a tiny cave like a zit!

I've read a previous thread on inverting the bottles and it seems like a worthwhile thing to try. Most people jump all over the suggestion, but how many have tried it. I have ordered the valve protectors and am going to invert my doubles....call it a winter project. The concept makes good sense to me and I would appreciate any feed back from someone who HAS ACTUALLY DONE IT. All of the stretching in the world won't get me closer to my shut offs and loosening the crotch strap and waist band to move the rig up seems like it wastes too much time. You would be surprised at how many dry suit divers can't reach the valves when the straps are not loosened. Add dry gloves into the formula and it's even worse.

:boom:

even in a drysuit.

Now I won't tell you that its a particularly pleasant exercise, but I CAN reach them without dinking around with the straps on the plate.

Two big problems with inverting the tanks:

1. How are you going to route the hoses? Think long and hard about this one; you will likely need custom-length hoses, and keeping them from being a mess might be difficult.

2. How do you put the kit on and take it off? Yes, I know, a cage over the manifolds - will it work? What will you sit the kit on while donning it? Will it work on a boat?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom