Can't get the valves off my steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lhpdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I am on vacation in Mexico and I brought my own gear - including 2 e7-100 steel tanks. They had a hydro and visual in January 2022. The dive shop I went to here says he can't get the valves off the tanks. He seems like a nice / competent kind of guy. Does anyone have any suggestions that may help us ? Thanks [He said he tried a mallot and something else]

No - the valves have been on the tanks for 2 years. I drove here... The owner of the shop seems competent. certified in this and that. He seems really hung up on 'lubricant'. I don't know. The tanks are perhaps 20 years old (he has them at the moment). But they have been pampered (in a closet) for the last 2 years...

Hit the damn thing with a mallet. They should only be only a bit tighter than snug/hand tight anyways. If they're stuck he either needs a bigger wrench or an impact to knock em loose. Make sure he's turning them the right way as well...

If someone torqued those valves on that tight then they severely screwed up.
I had a steel 120 hydro’d several years ago and someone at the hydro shop (probably a green horn) torqued the valve on to about 160 ft Lbs. probably thinking it was like a tapered thread on a gas cylinder. That pissed me off. I had to use my biggest 24” crescent and a big mallet to get it off. They even mushroomed out where you put the wrench on.

I'm going to stop by the shop in the morning. I guess I will offer to buy a BIG wrench ? To be honest the shop really didn't want me to dive my own gear from the beginning. Sometimes I miss Florida...

Back
Top Bottom