Cancun Trip Report Nov 18-23

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daxter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just got back from Cancun thought I would post a report for those interested in Cancun diving. My wife won a trip to Cancun on a radio station through Apple Vacations. My first thought was everyone says diving in Cancun is bad, go to Cozumel, well my mind has been changed and I was wrong. We stayed at the CAncun Riu Hotel and dove with Mayan Aqua Divers.

First the hotel:
Cancun Riu is a very nice hotel, big rooms, most face the ocean. Fullly stocked mini refrigerator (water,pop and beer). Many pools for that after diving nap on a lounge chair. There were 4 restraunts, 2 buffets and 2 that you had to make reservations for and 1 sports bar that was open 24 hours a day. The food was great. Only con was the walls were thin but after the first night got used to it.

The dive op:
After hearing the good reviews on SB we chose Mayan Aqua Divers run by Ben Mooney. I have nothing to say but good things about Ben and his entire dive op. Dropped him an e-mail and got quick responces, great comunications. All the people that work with Ben are friendly and do whatever they can to help you. He had someone pick us up every morning and take us back every day. Ben was our DM every day and Isidro was our boat captain. Ben does everything he can so you have a great time on the dives. He gets as excited as we do when a school of squid cross under you or you see the biggest turtle you have ever seen, you get the idea. If he has more than 5 divers there would be another DM and we never had more then 8 diversthe entire trip. The boat was nice and big but very quick as well. It had plenty of room for 10 -12 divers plus DM's. Ben always gave great dive briefs before each dive. I would highly recomend Ben and Mayan Aqua Divers.

Now the diving:
We did 4 days of diving the reefs and a wreck in Cancun and one day of Cenote diving. The reefs have a max depth od between 50 -55 feet, for us we had vis of between 50 -100 feet. Like diving in Cozumel it is drift diving but there is alot of surge. Bottom time for us averaged about 50 min. The reefs are not towering as in Cozumel but they have great color and sea life. Big fans and an abundance of coral. The The number of fish was amazing, there were times that you could not see the reef with the amount of fish covering it. We would desend into the fish and they would engulf you till you found the reef. There were some small swim throughs.

The wreck was a high point for me as it was my 100th dive. I had never done a wreck before and this was nice and open, it was in two parts with about a 4 -5 min swim to find the bow. We decended and viewed one of the biggest groupers I have seen as we drifted to the wreck. We saw 1 spotted eagle ray as we approached the wreck, 2 more as we circled it. After going though the wreck, where there were a ton of fish using it as a shelter, we saw 3 more rays. We then looked above the wreck and saw 7 more ray playing in the current. WOW, I thought nothing could beat that till 3 of us plus Ben heade over to the bow. After we got over to the bow and it was time to ascend up the line, aswe started up, we looked to the right andgot to see 17 -20 spotted eagle rays in formation. What a 100th dive to remember!!

The next day we went with Alvaro and Ivan to dive the Chac Mool Cenote. This was an incredible experience as well. Al has done over 15000 dives and still has such a pasion for the cenotes. Both dives lasted for about 1 hour long. If you have never dove a cenote it is well worth it and in April when I go to Cozumel I will do it again. Vis was amazing, haloclines were wild and the formations were intense. I cuold go on and on about this experince.

Overall if someone says there is no good diving in Cancun, they either have never dove it or went with the wrong op, we had a fantastic time. Dont be afraid of Cancun, drop Ben an e-mail and have a great time.

Tom

Great write up, Tom! I'm going to have to dive down there later in the year. We've gone in Aug the last two years and have never seen eagle rays.

Man, getting a free week in the Riu?! Can't beat that. I'm going to get at least two cenotes in next trip. I dove Chac Mool last year and it was awesome!

Gld to hear you had a great trip and can attest that diving in Cancun gets a bad rap. Ben's op is excellent.

Tom,

Thanks for the trip report! I'm glad to hear you had a good time, and glad to hear even more good things about Ben's shop. I'll be in Cancun for a week over Christmas (staying at Oasis Palm Beach)... we paid for our trip though (what luck you had winning a trip).

Also, if all goes as planned I'll be doing my 100th dive that week too, with Ben' shop (not first wreck dive though - I live in the Great Lakes.. wreck central!) :)

Cheers, Katy

Hi Spratman,

Thanks for the info in other posts you had, made the decision to contact Ben much easier. Could not beleive the good fortune we had with the eagle rays! :)

Katy,

I think using Ben is a great decision I am sure you will have a blast. Must be nice to live so close to so many great wreck dives, at least better than our little mudholes in CO. :) Have a great Christmas down there!!

Tom

very nice

Tom,

Thanks for the trip report! I'm glad to hear you had a good time, and glad to hear even more good things about Ben's shop. I'll be in Cancun for a week over Christmas (staying at Oasis Palm Beach)... we paid for our trip though (what luck you had winning a trip).

Also, if all goes as planned I'll be doing my 100th dive that week too, with Ben' shop (not first wreck dive though - I live in the Great Lakes.. wreck central!) :)

Cheers, Katy

Hi Katy,

Must be tough being on the wreck lakes! You dive out of the Thunder Bay area? That is on my list of dives to do. I'm probably going to the St. Lawrence next year. It just conflicted with my Cancun trip the last couple of years.

You'll have a fantastic week of diving. Make sure you hit the La Parilla and the La Placitas downtown. Ask Ben about it. Awesome!

Great stuff, all! Thanks for the info!
Quick: if you only could do one cenote, Dos Ojos or Chac Mool?

Larry,

you might start a new thread for that question, I only did Chac Mool and I think Spratman has done the same one. I think no matter what you do you will enjoy any of them.

Tom

I agree with Daxter. All the cenotes have a special feature about them. I intend to make my rounds to all the cenotes.

If it's your first time, it doesn't matter which one you go to, it's incredible! Also, depends where you are staying. The further south, the earlier you have to get up. Between the two choices, Chac Mool is the closest to Cancun.

Happy diving!

oh good question,
id probably recommend chac mool over dos ojos, more light features, tree and jungle effect, the air dome and some of the biggest stalagtite formations around.
angelita is a cracker although its a little unsafe these days, shame.
temple of doom and taj mahal are great for a second trip to the cenotes.
each and every cenote has their "own thing", you just got to try them!
damn i hate my job!

happy diving

Back
Top Bottom