Cancun or Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dd64

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My son and I are going to Scuba training and should do our check out dive in April. We have a family vacation to Cancun in June and are planning for a day of diving while in Mexico. I am wondering if we should dive in Cancun or in Cozumel? If we do Cozumel, how hard is it to get over to Cozumel? Any suggestions are appreciated !!!!

Dale in Alabama

Getting over to cozumel is fairly easy and theres even dive shops in cancun wholl set it up for you.
However, depending on what you want to see, it might be better to just dive in cancun than to do a trip of a few hours back and forth to cozumel..

Hey Dale,

Get in touch with Manta Divers. They are located in Cancun, but they also take divers to Cozumel. Sounds like it might be a fit for you. The ferry to Cozumel is from Playa del Carmen and takes only about 45 minutes to cross. You can reach them through their website or 800 number.

Have fun!

Bonnie

Mayan Aqua Dive also does cozumel dives and theire also on this forum. You could always try contacting the user ben@mayanaquadive for more info..

It's hard to do a DAY of diving in Cozumel from Cancun, because it will take you several hours each way to get there. You have to get down to the ferry in Playa del Carmen and then hop that, and I'm not sure how often it runs.

Unless you are leaving insanely early, you won't get morning boats, as I think they all leave by around 9am.

I think if you only have a day, Ben at Mayan Aqua Dive can get you four good dives right in Cancun...The mornings are often better because he doesn't have any Discovery folks on the boat, so you go to the better reefs, or the wreck.

Cozumel is great diving, but so is the main land. I would suggest saving yourself the trouble and do a couple dives from Cancun. Also, Cozumel is drift diving, and it’s a little more of a challenge for a new diver.

The previous posts are right, by the time you get to Coz from Cancun it is not worth the trouble. If you hit the ferry just right in PDC, you will spend two hours travel time to your boat. Miss it just wrong, figure two and a half hours. Your vacation time is worth more than the hassle. Do two dives in Cancun in the morning and enjoy the rest of the afternoon

I don't agree, I did the Cancun to Cozumel dive trip, wasn't that tuff. Did it twice in one week and enjoyed all four dives.

Mike

heres an idea dale,
get in a couple two tank dives in cancun, 9am til 1pm, easy and the next day go to snorkel with the whale sharks and manta rays all just an 1hr from cancun...... now thats a good way to spend a day!
cozumel will cost you 12hrs for a two tank dive, you ll log more time in the van than underwater, if you want to dive cozumel go there for a week and dive, dive, dive!

Cozumel has great diving and is well worth it but to be honest the last trip to Cancun was great as well. Ben at M.A.D. was great, the dives were fantastic. I would not spend the morning in a van then jumping to the ferry for a 2 tank dive only to repeat the process to get back but that is just me. The diving in Cancun is very underated. Drop Ben a line and he will take care of you. Now after saying a that, 20 more days till a week in Coz!!! Can hardly wait.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom